BDBN: University of Florida fires all DEI employees

One team, one girl: Hayward joins wrestling

The wrestling room, where junior Jessica Hayward now spends her afternoons, before practice. (Credit: Sarah Pesaturo/WSPN).

An athlete all her life, junior Jessica Hayward has tackled a variety of sports. From the turf for field hockey, to the diamond for softball, Hayward has learned what it’s like to train and practice hard in order to achieve her goals. This winter, she is tackling her toughest athletic goal yet: wrestling.

In November, Hayward joined the Wayland High School wrestling team. She is the only girl in years to take on the challenge posed by the predominately male team.

“I wanted to do a tough sport, and nothing is really tougher than wrestling,” said Hayward.

“Jess is one that can handle any obstacle that comes her way,” said Athletic Director Justice Smith. The mentally and physically vigorous sport is one more check on Hayward’s list of accomplishments.

Sean Chase, head wrestling coach, said, “In general, when anybody new joins the sport, whether they are male or female, it can be a shock to the system because the sport is so grueling and demanding.”

Hayward joked about her “collection of nice bruises”, saying the sport is extremely hard, but fun.

Sophomore and teammate Andrew Stiles said, “When I joined wrestling and saw her there, I was surprised because at the time I wasn’t even aware that it was a gender-neutral sport, but she has blended as one of us faster than I thought [she would].”

As the second female to ever compete on the Wayland Wrestling team, and the only female on the team this year, Hayward has received support and guidance from many people both on and outside of her team.

“She’s getting a lot of support from her teammates, so we’re happy for her,” said Smith.

Lisa Nowak, a Wayland High School Spanish teacher as well as a seasoned wrestling veteran, hopes to help train Hayward in the future.

“I was the only girl on my high school’s team. In fact, I was the first one in Maine, so I remember what she’s going through,” Nowak said. “Being a girl, your center of gravity is lower, and you’re strong in different places. There are a lot of those smaller details I could help her out with.”

When asked about Hayward’s impact on the team, Coach Chase replied, “So far she’s no different than anybody else on the squad. She puts in the work just like everyone else, and she’s held to the same standards as any of our other wrestlers.”

Although Hayward sees herself as just another wrestler, others see her choice to join an otherwise all male team as a courageous leap.

“It’s always hard to be the pioneer, it’s always hard to be the first because you know people are going to talk. But once someone has laid the groundwork, it definitely opens doors for other girls who will then see her courage and become inspired,” said Nowak.

Hayward has plans to stick with wrestling. “My goal is to eventually be able to win a match and to not spend the whole time being pinned,” she said laughing.

Hayward is learning the trade of wrestling quickly and has high hopes for her future as a wrestler at Wayland.

As Smith puts it, “This is what she wants to do, so we’ve got her back.”

$60
$1500