BDBN: University of Florida fires all DEI employees

WHS community talks about Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell repeal

On December 22nd, 2010, President Obama signed the repeal of the military’s longstanding Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy into law. Once the repeal goes into effect, gay and lesbian servicemen and women will be able to serve openly in the military. Wayland high school students and faculty commented on the repeal and how they think it will effect the military in the future.

Mary Backman

Senior
Serving in the military should have nothing to do with sex , so why would it be an issue having someone who is gay?

Andrea Defina

Junior
I don’t think it’s a great policy. I’m really for gays and gay marriage. I think it’s great, I think it’s fine, but I feel like it might cause some unnecessary problems in the army it might start fights and stuff, and really, they need to be united to fight for us.

Alex Dulude

Junior
I think it would be a good thing, a lot of other countries have gotten rid of it already, and there has been no real repercussions from that.

Mr. Tutwiler

WHS Principal
I think the decision to repeal, “don’t ask don’t tell” is very much in keeping with the values that this country holds. We should embrace everyone, in particular if they’re willing to risk their life for this country.

Emily Huber

Sophomore
I don’t think that it should make a difference whether they are in the military or not, and I think that it is good that they are now allowed.

$60
$1500