Twists and Turns of the Presidential Campaign

It is the fall, which for some people brings to mind the start of school, football season, baseball playoffs, soccer games, leaves falling, and cool crisp weather. However, it’s fall 2007, which for some people means a focus on the one-year left of President Bush’s reign; some find this encouraging, others find it ominous. I know that very many people are happy to see new candidates lining up to prove themselves worthy of earning every child’s dream title: President.

This year’s candidates come from all different areas and levels of experience. We have a few governors, a former mayor, many senators, businessmen, a few lawyers, and even a lecturer. We also have diversity, as well as many controversial beliefs among the candidate. However, they all have the thousand dollar haircuts and infallible smiles in common. I will be writing about a couple of different candidates each week in my articles. This week I will quickly discuss just two.

One candidate who seems to stand out in the race is Hillary Clinton, a former first lady who is shaping up to be a front runner. Her favorite public issues to speak about include the war, health care, and the federal budget. It surprises many politicians that she continues to come through with plans for the health care system when she has previously fallen short, or has even thrown away the subject when after getting elected. She is thought to be a great speaker and a strong, somewhat egotistical, person. Hillary has all the glamor of being a candidate, but what many people want to know is whether she is actually qualified. It is recognized that she has many celebrity supporters, including Martha Stewart, O.J. Simpson, Madonna, Elizabeth Taylor, Janet Jackson, and Madeline Albright. Well, I must say this list just makes me a little worried.

Another candidate who stands out would be Mitt Romney, our former Massachusetts governor. Although many people thought his heart was not in our state 100% when he was governing, it was probably because his heart was also in the presidential campaign. I got to meet Mitt Romney this summer in Laconia, New Hampshire, which also happens to be a hot spot for politicians because Senators Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and John Edwards appeared and spoke there. I also got the chance to meet John Edwards, who I will discuss in a later article. A few of Romney’s favorite issues in his campaign are health care, immigration, and abortion. Mitt Romney is taking his campaign around the country and “get to know the people.” He is very amiable, and his goal is to be seen as on the same level as everyday people.

The Presidential race is full of many twists and turns, both exciting and disturbing; I hope to keep you posted on all of them throughout the campaign.

$210
$1500