Smile For the Camera

The Fox news coverage of our school on last Friday raises an important question concerning us as a community. What was the real reason we dressed up in our school colors? If we need a TV station to come to our school in order for us to express our school spirit, how genuine is our spirit anyway?

Students were informed through morning announcements that last Friday was to become Spirit Day, chosen just because Fox News was coming to broadcast our game against Lincoln-Sudbury. That day, nearly everyone was clad in orange and black. Most students and some teachers were thrilled by the possibility to be seen on TV. But just how important is being on that TV screen anyway? Perhaps it is because we cast a golden glow over anything that’s on TV, thinking that everyone on the news, on talk shows, on soap operas, on commercials, and on television shows are “important” or “special” enough to be filmed. We have become products of these times defined by Reality TV; we’re scrambling to the cameras in hopes of being seen by the world. We want that same feeling of power and attention given to those we see as important. Perhaps that’s why people jump at the chance to embarrass themselves on The Jerry Springer Show or on America’s Got Talent. Would we really want to be a William Hung for the sake of having others watch us on their TV screens? Being filmed isn’t a rung up on the ladder of importance.

We should be dressing in school colors for that sense of community, not in hopes of seeing ourselves in the news. We should remember that school spirit should not be fueled by the desire to been seen on the TV screen, but by the honest feeling of community that makes Wayland High School a warm and hospitable place to be.

$60
$1500