Drastic Changes Will Occur if the Override Fails

Students at the high school have been talking a great deal, recently, about the override. They are concerned that they will have no activities to return to next year. They are worried about their classes and their teachers and their sports and their clubs. Money is clearly the major issue and will be the deciding factor when the vote rolls around in April. However, right now, students are simply thinking about the school itself, and are attempting to understand what would be lost without an override.

If the override does not pass, the quality of education our school is able to provide will drastically decrease. A huge number of electives will be cut, having a negative effect on the students.

Without an override, physical education and health teachers, secretaries, library assistants, and coaches will be let go, classes and sports will be cut, and extracurricular activities will be gone.

Many sports will no longer be offered, and students who have participated for several years will have to find something else to do during that season. If they cannot find another team to join, they will probably do nothing for that season.

Out of about 30 official clubs at the high school, it is possible that 20 or 25 will not be returning next year. Many people wonder—What are the clubs that students participate in, and are they worth saving? Wayland offers Math Team, Climate Committee, a Student Awareness Program, the school newspaper, pep band, language clubs, Amnesty International, Mock Trial, Asian Cultures Club, Peer Advisors, SADD, Model UN, Science Olympiad, the a cappella groups, and many, many more clubs. These clubs offer opportunities for students to pursue their interests, connect with their peers, and take leadership positions within the school.

How can we choose whose club is worth keeping and whose is not? How can we decide which one out of every five clubs gets to stay? Each offers a different but invaluable experience to its members, and they should be allowed to continue.

I know that money is the main issue for many people, and I do not pay taxes yet, so my views may seem biased. For some, it simply may not be a viable option to pay higher taxes next year. However, to anyone who is thinking that the override just isn’t worth it, the raise in taxes would be money well spent.

This override is not about saving obscure extracurricular activities. It is about allowing the students a chance to determine who they are and in what direction they will go after they leave Wayland High School. Please, continue to offer that chance next year.

$60
$1500