Sexism and Racism

“Do I think there are sexism, racism, and homophobia at our school? Absolutely. The teachers are just as bad as the students though, so I don’t think you can blame it on “Rap Culture”. I think it’s ridiculous to try to get rid of labels; they will always be there, no matter what. What should be changed is when people equate other meanings to the labels. Black doesn’t necessarily mean gangster. Gay doesn’t necessarily mean feminine. Asian doesn’t necessarily mean smart. I think it’s important to emphasize that the teachers are supposed to be better about this then us. There isn’t a week that goes by where one of my teachers doesn’t make some gay joke or sexist comment.” – Anonymous

“We all need to treat each other with respect, whether we are white, black, yellow, brown or green. it shouldn’t matter if we are gay, bi, or straight. When we start labeling ourselves then others label us too. When we start asking for special treatment because of our color or heritage then others will resent us and I think they should. If we are all equal, then we should treat each other as equals.” – Anonymous

“After reading the article “Sexist, Racist, and Ignorant,” there were several things I disagreed with. First of all, I wanted to address the quote from Mr. Delaney. I think it is an easy cop-out to blame the current mainstream “rap culture” for influencing teens and kids to say racist and sexist things. When it comes down to it, it is that person’s own judgment that reigns supreme, and that person knows whether what they are saying is right or wrong. Also, I disagree that people can now easily tell on other people because of the Press. No matter how easy, most people won’t tell on each other, especially if they are friends. Also, I think that just because we are part of an upscale suburb doesn’t mean we are free of racism and sexism. I would rather think that in a mainly white town where most people don’t know anything about poverty there would be more ignorance and racism than anywhere else. Personally, I am half Mexican and I do get offended when I here negative comments about my heritage, and believe me, I do. I have lived in Mexico, and also in three other towns in the U.S. so I have seen poverty, and am not simply preaching things I know nothing about.” – Anthony Brocado

“Everyone is a bit sexist and racist. The question is whether you keep it to yourself. I think the biggest things at Wayland High School are pre-conceived notions about different groups, such as the Boston students or nerds. People make fun of nerds a lot.” – Anonymous

“I believe that racism and sexism do exist in WHS. However, I think that there is far more sexism then there is racism. My freshman year a teacher clearly favored guys over girls. He also didn’t take any action when anyone said a sexist/racist comment. He just let these comments slide. I feel that because he did not say anything to the students making these comments, he is allowing these comments to be said in his classroom. Racism and Sexism do affect the community. Now, lets tackle something that is more common in WHS: Homophobia.” – Anonymous

“I do not believe that WHS as a whole is sexist and racist. I believe that this is the work of individuals seeking attention. I also think that this was done years ago because nobody ever uses these maps.” – Anonymous

“Well let’s see, seeing how racism and sexism exist EVERYWHERE IN THE WORLD, yes they exist in our school. It may not be fully recognizable on the surface, but their underlying tensions still exist in our society. We all like to think that we live in the magic world with candy and lollipops where there is none of this kind of stuff, but it’s true, it exists.” – Anonymous

$210
$1500