Quotes on the Florence Adler Walk/Run

“The walk/run was super fun! I walked my dog and walked along with Mrs. Lehmann, her new baby Gus, and her mum. The weather turned out to be really nice. It was not too hot, but not too cold. I walked the 5k, not very far, but the money people raise goes to a really great cause, the METCO program. The walk was a lot of fun; I saw a bunch of high school and middle school teachers. I am not sure how many people in total were there, I was more with the walkers, but there was a whole other group that ran either the 10K or the 5k. Lots of parents and their children were there too, Spongebob Squarepants even showed up! That made a lot of children excited. It is a pleasant walk, nice for all age groups. I would totally recommend it to others.” – Scarlett Hoey

“The walk run went well. We all thought it was going to rain, but it turned out to be great running weather. The Florence Adler walk/run was created after Florence Adler, a strong supporter of the Wayland METCO program, passed away of cancer. It’s now held every year to honor her and celebrate diversity. We could always have more people come and support the cause, especially from the high school. Usually the crowd tends to be elementary and middle schoolers. The Wayland High School METCO student council organizes the walk with the help of Mrs. Reid-Wallace, the school coordinators, and countless parents.” – Brittany Hendricks

“It was good, lots of fun, and lots of people considering it was supposed to rain. We were lucky because it didn’t [rain]. It was really good to see lots of teachers there from the high school and middle school, but next year hopefully there’ll be more publicity so we can get more students involved as well because it basically benefits the high schoolers in the METCO program. The walk was established five years ago when Florence Adler died of breast cancer. She was a really big supporter of the METCO program, so we do it to honor her dedication to trying to bring all types of people together.” – Erica Kouka

“The 5th annual Florence Adler Walk/Run turned out to be really good. The weather was perfect for running–not too hot and not too cold. (It wasn’t raining, and the sun even came out at times). I personally didn’t run or walk. Instead, I helped out at a water stop at the firestation. I had a great time, cheering on the racers and walkers, and of course, giving out water. Meanwhile, there were video games (DDR, etc) and face painting at the middle school for kids who didn’t run or walk. Spongebob Squarepants was even there! At the end of the walk/run, we had a cookout under the overhang of the middle school, where we had hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, and cake. We also announced the winners of the 5k/10k race. Overall, it was a good bonding time between the Wayland and METCO community.” – Debbie Chu

“Well, the weather was nice. I think it was the 4th or 5th annual Florence Adler walk/run. It is to commemorate Florence Adler (Jenn’s mom) who passed away 5 years ago from cancer.” – Danielle Smith

“It was really fun. I think that the walk/run is a great way to raise money for METCO and also to honor Florence Adler and everything she did for METCO.” – Alie Perkus