Sichuan Earthquake Bake Sale

Even today, we still feel deep pain for the children, spouses and friends of the thousands of people who died in the World Trade Center disaster. This week, it is the children, wives, husbands, parents and friends of nearly 50,000 killed, buried or missing victims of the Sichuan, China. The earthquake plunged them into the same world of pain.

Children went to school like every other day and in seconds lost their home and their parents. Parents went to work and in seconds lost their beloved children under the tons of concrete of collapsed schools. As NPR reports, one mother will have to find a way to live on with the last words of her son ringing in her ears: “Mommy, please don’t leave me.” Rescuers uncovered him from the rubble of his home. He was found curled up, dead, in the frozen embrace of his deceased grandfather’s arms.

Like the horror of the World Trade Center on 9/11, the death and pain of this tragedy cannot be reversed. Even a week after the earthquake, there are still search teams looking for survivors. Those that survived the quake now need people’s help to survive. We can give the survivors a helping hand with a donation, a gift that provides food, clothing, bedding, medicine and sanctuary to those suffering the horrendous physical and emotional wounds this earthquake has inflicted. The children, suddenly homeless and alone in a terrifying world, especially need our help!!

There will be a bake sale to raise money for the earthquake on Thursday, May 29. The money from the bake sale will be donated to Mercy Corps to help the relief effort for the earthquake in Sichuan. If anyone would like to help in any way, please contact Elizabeth Xu. People can help by bringing in food for the bake sale and buying food. Remember, just $50 can cover the necessities such as shelter and food of a person for a month.

$60
$1500