The College Board has a dangerous amount of power

The College Board. Most of us know this corporation as the people who administer the SAT reasoning test and the various subject tests that are essential to a college application. However, when dishing out $43 for the reasoning test and $28 for each subject test, rarely does anyone question the complete control that the College Board seems to hold over the 2.2 million high school students who take these tests annually.

When we truly analyze the College Board’s position in power, they come to resemble the great monopolies in American history. Like Standard Oil in the late 19th century, although not as grand in scope, the College Board holds a huge amount of power in their market.

The major competitor for the College Board would seem to be The American College Test (ACT), which is one of the only tests not given by the College Board. However, the ACT does not offer subject tests. So, by the end of their high school career, most students will end up taking at least one College Board test.

The College Board has a dangerous amount of power and is a threat to the competitive market that we have in the United States of America.

$210
$1500