Wayland-Weston Crew Sweeps States

For the third year in a row, the Wayland-Weston Crew team has won states. Wayland-Weston scored first with more than 140 points, with the closest opponent coming in with 49 points. The team was able to win and receive medals in nearly all the events. On the boys squad, every boat that raced, medaled.

The day itself was a nice hot day that screamed summer with a breeze that was able to cool down everyone. This also shortened the races. The entire riverside was a lively sprite green, giving some relaxing scenery to the day. The sun beamed down with a radiant energy and by the time the awards ceremony rolled around, many people were red in the face (and not just because we were winning all the races). All the coxswains were cooled down by victory dips in the river.

The races were either 2000 meters or 1500 meters, depending on the event. They seemed much shorter because of the tailwind.

In between the races, faithful parents continued to run the food tent, which supplied us with much needed energy for the day. They even brought out the grill.

Every boat on the squad participated in states, and even the alumni from years past came back for a “row down a watery memory lane,” which they won. For many of the seniors who row crew, it was a good way to end their last season in triumph, though some will continue to practice for nationals.

Finally, the day ended with a giant team photo, smiles on our faces.

$210
$1500