High school facilities are failing

In a recent Town Crier article, Dr. Burton, the Superintendent of Schools, outlined some major flaws with the high school campus. It’s true that most of the buildings on campus are close to half a century old, and aren’t up to par with safety code. Still, I find that I can’t agree with all of Dr. Burton’s claims.

The article makes some good points, but I felt that a lot of the claims weren’t the pressing reasons we desperately need a new school. Most schools, including the recently renovated middle school have an abundance of hallway clutter. While they pose tripping and fire hazards, extension cords are hardly our greatest concern.

I agree that we need a new high school. We don’t have a proper technology infrastructure due to lack of electrical outlets and in-wall ethernet jacks. We barely have enough electrical outlets in classrooms to support the new technology being installed in a dated campus. My math class has been relocated to a trailer, because our initial room couldn’t hold my class. Some of the whiteboards haven’t been maintained, and they no longer erase. Our classrooms are cramped, hallways narrow, equipment broken and outdated, and space at a growing premium. We could do a great deal more with a new building. I agree with Dr. Burton that we have to actively work against our buildings at times.

I understand that residents pay high taxes to support the school district and other town services. We struggle to maintain what we already have every year, hoping that residents will continue to pass overrides to keep our school afloat. It’s greatly appreciated at the high school that next year we will continue with the same services, but unfortunately we’re no longer at a point where “it would be nice” to get a new school. We are now at the point where it is necessary to build a new school. It’s wasteful to continue pumping money into buildings that have long been broken. Something needs to be done, because as Burton says we “cannot carry on indefinitely in facilities that are failing.”

Dr. Burton’s article can be found here at WickedLocal.

$210
$1500