New traffic light has drivers seeing red

Some Wayland High School students are finding it tougher to get to school on time.  The added traffic surrounding the new light at the school’s entrance is taking some getting used to.

On Monday morning, September 8th, the traffic light became fully operational. During the week prior, the lights operated only in flash mode, in an attempt to allow people to adjust before they were officially put into use. The light includes a sensor system for cars leaving the high school, which will activate a green light for the exiting cars. A push-button crosswalk light was also installed, helping to ensure the safety of students and other pedestrians when crossing in front of the high school.

The traffic signal was installed in reaction to concerns about the dangerous crosswalk.  After a tragic accident at the intersection two years ago, community members voiced the need to take action.  After considering several options, including crossing guards, the town decided to install the traffic light by the start of this school year.

With the new light has come a new traffic pattern. Many students and teachers have noted that, at peak traffic time, they have had to leave much earlier than last year just to make it to school on time. “It takes me 20 minutes to get from Stonebridge Rd. to the high school,” notes teaching assistant Mary Berardi. An anonymous senior also says, “I came in 2nd period because I had a free 1st period and the traffic was backed up from the new light to Four Corners!”  However, as Mr. Tutwiler explains, safety does not necessarily mean convenience. “The light is there to keep our community safe, and it’s important to be mindful of the reasons that it was put there.”

According to police officer, Lt. Patrick Swanick, this school year, traffic has been especially difficult due to several changes in town—not only the new light, but also the altered elementary school starting times. The police and traffic engineers have received feedback from the community and are still tweaking the lights, hoping to find the optimal timing from all directions. “We’re optimistic that by the end of the week things will be a lot better for everyone,” says Swanick.

Pedestrian Tip: In order to improve traffic, Lt. Swanick urges students to wait for the signal from the push-button crosswalk light. On average, after pushing the button a person will wait about twenty seconds for the walk-signal before giving up and crossing without the signal. This greatly disrupts the traffic patterns.

$60
$1500