2008 World Series preview: Rays vs. Phillies

It is the end of October, which can only mean two things: Halloween and the Fall Classic. The Tampa Bay Rays and the Philadelphia Phillies have both experienced unforgettable seasons, but only one will prevail as the World Champions of baseball.

The Rays are the story of the 2008 MLB season. Last season the Rays finished last in the American League East division with a record of 66-96. Their season this year started without much hope, and their chances of making it to the World Series went off at 80-1 in Las Vegas. But as the season progressed, the Rays gained more and more attention, and not for any big mid-season acquisitions, or shining superstars. The Rays were simply winning. No one thought they could keep it up for the whole season.

The American League East had belonged to the Yankees and Red Sox for the Rays’ entire existence, which started in 1998. Yet the Rays defied the odds and made the postseason.

Led by rookie sensation Evan Longoria (27 HR, 86 RBI‘s) and power hitter Carlos Pena (31 HR, 102 RBI’s), the Rays powered through the White Sox easily in the ALDS. After losing the first game of the ALCS to the Red Sox, the Rays easily won 3 games in a row, two in Boston, then lost at home in game six before finally prevailing last night. Their World Series berth is another milestone for the Rays this season, but will they be able to keep the momentum going against the Phillies?

The Phillies are also in a foreign situation. They have not made it to the Fall Classic since 1993 when they lost to the Toronto Blue Jays 4 games to 2. The whole city has been in a major sports championship drought, having not won any titles since the 76ers (NBA) won in 1983. In football, the Eagles last championship was won in 1960, the Flyers of the NHL last won in 1975, and the Phillies in last championship was in 1980. This is the longest current streak for a city in the whole country.

For many, if the Phillies won, it would come as a shocker based on their past luck, but should it? The Phillies have one of the best clubhouses in the majors. Their lineup consists of four of the best players in the league: Jimmy Rollins, Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, and Pat Burrell.

Jimmy Rollins is the reigning NL MVP, and is arguably the best shortstop in the NL. Chase Utley had a phenomenal season batting .292, with 33 home runs and 104 RBI’s. Pat Burrell also had a great season with 33 home runs and 86 RBI’s. However, Ryan Howard was better than both of them, leading MLB with 48 home runs and 146 RBI’s. This was the second consecutive year that he has led the NL in both categories.

If there was a weak point this season for the Phillies it would be the pitching; however, in the post season, it has been looking more than proficient.

Cole Hamels has been unstoppable this postseason. He has been a perfect 3-0, with an ERA under 2.00, and  he was the NLCS MVP. Jamie Moyer, or “The Ageless One” as his teammates call him, has had a great season overall. At the age of 45 he racked up 16 wins this year while suffering only 7 losses with an ERA of 3.71.

So who will win this year’s championship? Will it be the Rays, the story of 2008 season? Or the Phillies, the quiet, yet ever present threat? This is an almost impossible prediction to make because the two teams are in opposite situations now. The Rays are a branding iron freshly pulled out of the fire; the hitting is on fire with B.J. Upton, Evan Longoria, and Carlos Pena combining for 16 HRs and 34 RBIs. They seem to be heating up at the right time.The Phillies, on the other hand, have seen their power hitters numbers diminish. Ryan Howard has been 8-31 at the plate this postseason. He and Rollins have combined for a mere 5 RBIs during the playoffs. So they are bound to once again catch fire.

However, I cannot pick against the Rays. Even though they are young and inexperienced, the Phillies are not any more experienced when it comes to the World Series.  If the Rays can beat the Red Sox in October, they can take down anyone, and I believe they will. I have the Rays in 6 games over the Philadelphia Phillies to win their first ever World Series Championship.

$210
$1500