Memorial book swap established to honor Wayland parent

Redemption Song, The Shadow of the Wind, All American Girl, and Angela’s Ashes are just a few of the many intriguing books that have been donated to the Cynthia Cunningham Memorial Book Swap. There are already lots of books, and there are many more to come.

Wayland students and families have been given a great opportunity to help share the wealth in the community thanks to this new bookcase. Located on the first floor of the main office building, it provides the opportunity for the Wayland High School community to donate books they no longer need, as well as to pick up an interesting title or two. The plan is to collect as many donated books as possible so that students, teachers, administrators and parents can find many books that interest them.

Cynthia Cunningham, mother of senior Ross Cunningham, suggested a book swap because she thought it would be a great way for students and teachers to recycle and share old books. Cunningham explained her idea to teacher Janet Karman on back to school night in October 2005. Unfortunately, soon afterward, Ms. Cunningham passed away.

According to Karman, the project took nearly three years to get started. There were complications and delays, but with the approval and help of Principal Pat Tutwiler, the idea finally became a reality. Tutwiler shared his enthusiasm over the new bookcase.

“The fact is, we are a small school but a large family. It is something designed to carry on someone’s memory; someone who is one of our family members. And what better way to do this than by something everyone loves — reading.”

Ross Cunningham states, “I think it is a really nice gesture by the school. My mom mentioned the idea of a book swap to Ms. Karman my freshman year. I hadn’t thought about it in a long time, and was pretty shocked when Mr. Tutwiler showed me the display. I know she’d really appreciate it; she loved to get involved with the school, and it’s nice to see that she will be remembered.”

$60
$1500