6:30 or 7:30: A wake-up call

At 6:30 AM my alarm goes off and I move like a zombie, stumbling out of bed still half asleep, then looking back at those warm blankets and wishing I could crawl back in. Waking up this early Monday through Friday, particularly after a long night of work, negatively affects my performance in school, especially in those dreaded morning classes.

Average high school students need 8.5 hours of sleep, according to Dr. Kathie Nunley. Studies have proven that not enough sleep can actually be harmful to the body, causing people to look worse, feel moody, and perform poorly. Too little sleep can make it hard for people to get along with one another and can seriously affect test scores and grades. Schools with a start time of 8:30 see far fewer students falling asleep in class.

Teachers might ask, why don’t students just go to bed earlier? In reality, the time we go to sleep is determined by the amount of homework we get. As we all know, homework can take a few hours, and having sports or other activities after school causes students to start their work late. No matter how tired we might be, we have to do our homework, even though sleep is far more important. We harm our bodies when we stay up trying to finish our last-minute assignment and studying for a test, and then we still have to wake up at 6:30. The late night can negatively affect our performance on that test the next day.

In a survey taken in 1998, more than 3,000 students were asked about their grades compared to the amount of sleep they got. Psychologists Amy Wolfson and Mary Carskadon found that students who reported they were getting C’s, D’s, and F’s in school got about 25 minutes less sleep and went to bed 40 minutes later than students who reported that they were getting A’s and B’s. This leaves very little argument that an extra hour of sleep would have positive effects.

And for all of us new drivers out there, adequate sleep is crucial. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, drowsiness and falling asleep at the wheel cause more than 100,000 crashes every year, an unnecessary risk that can be avoided in part by starting school later. Waking up around 7:30 rather than 6:30 makes people more refreshed and able to stay that way the whole day.

For those who would oppose changing the start time to 8:30, I can see where you’re coming from. We would get out of school later, which makes sports and other after-school activities end later too. But it’s only an hour later — not as critical as that extra hour of sleep in the morning. Maybe you’re thinking that if we start school later, we’ll get home later, and then we’ll have to stay up that much later doing work. But, I’m going to assume that most people are not up later than midnight doing homework, and if they are, sleeping until 7:30 would still be preferable.

We need to change our school start time.  Are you willing to risk your health and performance?  Personally, I am not.

Sources: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_/ai_80089551
http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct01/sleepteen.html

$210
$1500