Why should luck determine the game?

For a total of sixty hard fought minutes, two teams play an exhausting game of football. In the end, however, the score is tied, which means overtime.

In the National Football League, a tied game goes into sudden death overtime for a maximum of fifteen minutes. At the end of regulation time, the referee tosses a coin in the center of the field, and the captain of the visiting team calls heads or tails. The team that wins the coin toss receives the ball first, and then the team that scores first by a safety, field goal, or touchdown wins the game. In other words, the team that wins the coin toss has an immense advantage over the other team; in many cases, the team that starts off with the ball wins the game.

Why should a team that just fought through an entire game be completely dependent on luck? In college football, when the game goes into overtime, each team is given one possession from its opponent’s twenty-five yard line, without a game clock. The team that has the most points after both possessions, wins. If neither team scores after the first two possessions, they continue with alternating possessions. If after three sets both teams still fail to score, they are then forced to make two point conversions instead of the one point field goal following a touchdown.

Unlike the NFL, college football rules allow the team who loses the coin toss to get another chance to score. I see no reason why the NFL shouldn’t follow suit, or at least adopt a similar rule. Throughout a game there is a strong sense of fairness, so why should that change once the game goes into overtime? In most cases, overtime is the most significant part of the game. The outcome of the game should not be determined by the luck of a coin toss.

$210
$1500