New school wish list

Over the past few days with the temperatures well below freezing, Wayland High students have had second thoughts about their New England open campus. With temperatures in the low twenties, walking outside just to get to class has been difficult. As part of the planning for a “new school,” students have been asked if they would like to reconsider an open campus.

Two weeks ago, the Futures Team, an assembly of teachers, parents, community members, current students and even some graduates, met at the town building to discuss how Wayland High should look in the future. Topics such as modifying the building, the style of teaching and what helps students learn were all discussed. Because the Wayland High buildings have not changed a great deal from the 1960’s, people are looking for new ways to better the school. The outdated science labs, the remoteness of the main office from classroom spaces, and the lack of locks on bathroom doors are a few of the many problems concerning staff and students.

Despite the recent cold weather and snow, however, the idea of a possible “closed building” did not make it onto students’ “Top 15 Wish List.” The top fifteen requested changes to Wayland High School, as suggested by over 50 current students were:

1. Tasty/cheaper Lunches
2. Locks on the bathroom doors
3. Locks on the lockers (in field house locker room)
4. Mirrors
5. Cleaner commons
6. Color (on the wall, pictures)
7. Flowers/plants
8. Picnic tables (area to eat outside)
9. New language lab
10. New weight room
11. Better commons seating
12. More area backstage in the Little Theatre
13. Vending machines
14. Air Conditioning
15. New water fountains

$210
$1500