Swimmers and divers are victorious at DCLs

Both the boys and girls swimming and diving teams brought home first place trophies this weekend from the DCLs. On Friday, the Warrior boys were able to upset the reigning champions, Lincoln-Sudbury, by 21.5 points and bring home the first ever DCL title for the boys program. The following day, the girls ended another perfect regular season by dominating L-S, winning by 201 points.

School records fell as almost all Wayland athletes had lifetime best performances. Sophomore Mike Ren broke the varsity record in the 100-yard breaststroke for the boys, and senior captain Katie Karlson set it for the girls. Senior captain Olivia Blahut established another school record in the 200-yard freestyle. The girls 200-yard medley relay consisting of sophomore Emily Downs, sophomore Valerie Eisenson, Karlson, and junior Emily Wright also created a new school record.

Although both teams scored the bulk of their points by winning individual and relay events and having even more athletes place within the top eight, a large part of their success has been due to the depth on the teams. All the B-relays placed higher than they were seeded, and every person who scored brought much needed points to the team. Many swimmers, both boys and girls qualified, and so will be able to help the team perform well in their next two meets.

The boys and girls both have the Sectional Championships this weekend and the State Championships the following weekend.

$210
$1500