"Slumdog" captivates audiences around the world

This year’s winner of the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture, Slumdog Millionaire, has received top marks from critics everywhere. The story centers on Jamal, a child-orphan from the streets of Mumbai, and how his experiences growing up have helped him nearly win the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?

Jamal has made it all the way to the last question. He’s close to the 20 million rupee grand-prize (around $409,000 USD), but on the eve before the last show he’s accused of cheating, and is taken in for interrogation. Jamal has to prove how his childhood gave him answers to questions that not even educated doctors and lawyers could answer. During the interrogation, Jamal reveals that he is doing everything in the search of a lost love, and winning her heart is more important to him than winning a game show.

Since 1951, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association has given Golden Globe awards for the best movies of the year and the people behind them. There are a number of important award shows in the entertainment industry, but the Golden Globes stand out from the rest because of the critics judging the films. The Hollywood Foreign Press is made up of journalists who cover the American (and Western world) film scene, but write for papers outside of the United States. So, films considered for a Golden Globe award are judged by an international council of film critics.

Slumdog Millionaire has won over even the most critical judges across the world. Ty Burr of The Boston Globe says “I’ll keep this simple: Cancel whatever you’re doing tonight and go see ‘Slumdog Millionaire’ instead.” The film has enough heart-warming moments to more than satisfy the romantic in us, enough action and tension to keep the restless riveted, and a story that will make everyone stand up and cheer.

Though some rights activists say that Slumdog Millionaire paints a bad picture of the slums, and exploits the images for money, it has been pretty well received in India. Indian film critic Nikhat Kazmi argues that “it was never meant to be a documentary of the down and out in Dharavi. And it isn’t.” The film isn’t meant to be a bleak documentary. It’s the story of one man trying to break free, and how even the most awful experiences may help you later in life.

While the basic story may not be anything new, the director adds enough current-day polish and realism that audiences will still be hanging onto each scene. I found myself truly hoping for Jamal to succeed. Even though the film is directed by an Englishman, the film “is indeed very Indian” according to Indian film critic Renuka Vyavahare. From the fantastic score, to the innovative editing style, to the largely unknown Indian cast, the film shows some of the best of what Bollywood has to offer.

Slumdog Millionaire won 3 other Golden Globes including Best Director, Best Screenplay, and Best Original Score. The film is nominated for 10 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, and Best Film Editing. The 81st Academy awards will be held on February 22.

Trailers can be found here:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/slumdogmillionaire/