Vacation: A time to relax or an excuse for more work?

Students are flooding back into the high school halls after a week-long vacation. Whether they cruised around the Bahamas or stayed here in Wayland, they may find they have one thing in common: their workload.

Many students found themselves burdened with impressive amounts of homework as they left the high school for break, preparing for what should have been a restful vacation. However, some students may have found it hard to relax with immense piles of work hanging over their heads. It doesn’t seem just when teachers exploit vacations, seeing them as a way to squeeze in more work for their students.

While I see the reasoning behind giving a small amount of homework, oftentimes students are expected to read the majority of a book or lengthy packets. Wayland High School is generally known as an academically rigorous high school, and its students work hard all year to keep up their grades, as well as try to balance extracurricular activities. It only seems fair that students should be given a break from all the pressure they’re under and have vacation as a time to enjoy themselves, instead of being burdened with excessive homework.

In addition, the week before vacations are often littered with an assortment of tests, quizzes, and papers. Students should be rewarded for all this hard work prior to vacation, instead of having more handed to them. If students aren’t given vacation to relax, when during the school year do they get a break?

$210
$1500