String Jamboree melodies to fill field house

This coming Monday, March 9, Wayland High School’s own two string orchestras–the String Orchestra and Honors Sinfonia Ensemble–will participate in the 21st annual String Jamboree.

Since former Fine Arts Department chair Jane Ezbicki came up with the idea of a school system-wide string orchestra concert in 1988, the String Jamboree has been a favorite among parents and performers alike. The String Jamboree showcases string students from grades 2 through 12. Each of the ensembles selects one or two pieces to perform, and the concert culminates with the playing of Beethoven’s “Ode To Joy,” “Orpheus in the Underworld,” and “String Jam Twinkle” (an arrangement of “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”).

This year, the elementary and middle school ensembles will be conducted by Whitney Tandon, who was hired at the beginning of the year. The middle school orchestras will be performing “Concerto in D” and “Arlington Sketches.” The Wayland High School orchestras will be directed by Fine Arts Director Susan Memoli, and will perform an arrangement of “Sing, Sing, Sing,” and Mozart’s “Symphony No. 41 Finale.”

“String jam is an awesome event because it is an opportunity to view the progression students undergo from playing basic music in fourth grade, to performing advanced repertoire as high schoolers,” said Senior Magda Buczek, who has participated in the string jam for the past six years. “As a high school student, all the younger kids look up to and aspire to play like you.”

The String Jamboree will be held at 7:30PM in the Field House.