Reviving Junior-Senior Cotillion

A long-standing tradition, forgotten in recent years, has now been revived. On February 27th, in the field house, Junior-Senior Cotillion was reborn. The dance had been canceled for the past 2 years because of low-ticket sales, so the junior and senior Executive Boards were cautious when planning the event.

Class of 2009 E-Board secretary Frederique Verly explained, “The main issue was trying to revive Cotillion after it had failed the past few years, so we weren’t sure how popular it was going to be. Because of that, we had to wait until the last minute after tickets were sold to truly plan. We didn’t want to lose money, so we had to be creative on the decorations and spend little. In the end, I thought the decorations with the little lights [were] quite pretty, very classy.”

Senior Hannah Dorfman also liked E-Board’s choice of décor. “I thought the field house looked amazing; everyone who set it up did a wonderful job. It was nice to get all of the upperclassmen together; everyone looked great,” she said. When asked to comment, many other students also talked about how they believed it was nice for the junior and senior classes to have the chance to socialize together.

Class of 2009 E-Board President, Magda Buczek was proud of their efforts to bring back Cotillion, despite the initial difficulties. “I think [that] overall Cotillion went really well. The goal for the junior and senior E-boards was to just bring back Cotillion and that’s exactly what we did. Although complications kept coming up in the planning process, both E-boards pulled through and Cotillion happened! All I know is that we did the most we could have done,” she explained.

Buczek continued, “People volunteered to bring food, [and] the decorations in the field house were really cool. If people didn’t like Cotillion or didn’t receive it well, that is not because it wasn’t organized or planned well. I hope next year the tradition continues and Cotillion happens again because it is a unique dance that both the juniors and seniors can take part in. It doesn’t have to be at some fancy place; that’s for prom and class night. It can be an inexpensive and homey dance where people come to dance and socialize.”

However, many are wondering if this reclaimed tradition will stick. Did the Class of 2010 like the dance enough to try to plan it again next year? Junior E-Board President Bobby Dresser certainly seemed to be game for another try, saying, “I really do hope Cotillion happens next year because I think a lot of people had fun!”