Abracadabra–A black box theater!

Could crusty old L1 ever be anything more than an eyesore? In recent years, Wayland High School students have known L1 as the venue for dreaded freshman study halls, CPR training sessions, and RAD. But a transformation is taking place right before our eyes. Thanks to a grant from the Wayland Public Schools Foundation, L1 is in the process of being turned into a “black box theater,” the dream child of Richard Weingartner.

A black box theater is a relatively recent development in the theater industry, consisting of a small, generally square-shaped theater in a room with black or dark walls and no windows. The experience of a black box is markedly different from that of a regular theater for both viewers and performers. The space is quite a bit smaller, and the stage, rather than raised off the ground, sits at the bottom of sloping seats, similar to the layout of a movie theater. Audience members look down at the actors instead of up, an effect that eliminates some visual obstacles presented by a standard theater layout.

In L1’s black box theater, the actors will be immensely challenged by the space restrictions. Actors must now adapt their staging to accommodate not only a smaller stage, but also an audience that will be viewing from three sides instead of one.

However, as senior AJ Fitzgerald commented, “As an actor I’m pleased by how the sound carries and that there isn’t a bad seat in the house. As part of the tech crew, the convenience of the layout for a sound and lighting booth is superb.”

Mr. Weingartner began working on this project over February break when he, students, Coach P. and even Mr. Tutwiler got into the act by painting the walls and ceiling, and by ripping out the tables, chairs, and rugs.

Weingartner had this to say about the L1 experience: “It was a lot of fun to tear out the old stuff. I am really grateful we had so many students and parents in addition to Mr. Tutwiler and Coach P. helping out. All in all it was a community effort, and we’re not done yet. The whole thing started when Ms. Mizoguchi, Mr. Tutwiler, and I submitted for a grant and we were very fortunate to have received it. The outcome is sort of a classroom by day, performance space by night sort of thing. It sure looks nice in there right now; be sure to wipe your feet before entering.”

According to Mr. Weingartner, the new chairs will take a bit longer to arrive because they still have to be manufactured, and movable tables must still be added for testing situations. Mr. Weingartner is hoping that this project will be completed by spring so that a performance may be possible before the end of the 2009 school year.

All photos were taken by Catey Oakley.