Senior Show wins over the crowds

This year’s senior show not only imitated Slumdog Millionaire in style, but also in popularity, selling out on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

The show began with an interrogation of Ryan Devlin by Iris Irwin, and then transitioned to a “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” scene with Derek Brisson as the host. Over the course of the show, 10 questions were asked, with various skits illuminating the answers to the questions. The Slumdog Millionaire theme continued to the finale, where the entire cast danced to “Jai Ho” with an original Bollywood-esque dance.

“I thought it was clever that Slumdog Millionaire was what [the senior show] was based on”, said WHS freshman Laura Vancil.

There were many skits that were clear crowd favorites, including the “Super Hero Teachers” skit, where Alex Vancil’s imitation of Mr. Schmirer and Garrett Levy’s impersonation of Mr. DeHoratius drew quite a few laughs from the audience. The audience raved during the intermission about the impressive “Sudbury River Dance,” and Seti Elmasri’s dramatic rendition of “My Heart Will Go On” in the “A Cappella Idol” skit was hysterical.

“The senior show was entertaining,” says junior Patrick Sharry. “[It even] got a couple chuckles out of the toughest critics.”

This year’s senior show directors were Ross Cunningham, Katie Gordon, Libby Gutschenritter, Kelsey Robb, Becca Weig, and Emily Zhang. The choreographers for the five dance numbers were Nina Pongratz, Lauren Spagnuolo, Carolyn Tang, and Kayla Whittemore. The directors and choreographers worked hard to make the show the success it was, especially with a mere two weeks of rehearsal.

Nina Pongratz, one of the four choreographers, felt that the senior show “definitely brought our grade together.” “I made a lot of friends,” she said. Sophomore Jamie Spagnuolo was impressed by the choreography. “[It] was creative and everyone was really in sync,” she said. “It was fun to watch.”

Rehearsals started only two weeks before the first performance, so students were working on scenes all the way through the three performances. Senior Seti Elmasri said, “Lots of kids really took it upon themselves to make the show funny and even come up with new ideas after the first performance and put them into the next one.”

“I was amazed at how well it came together,” said Emily Zhang, one of the directors of the senior show, “I really enjoyed working on it, and I thought that it was a great bonding experience for the grade. Everyone contributed a lot to it and the whole grade put a lot of effort and time into making the senior show happen. I think that it turned out splendidly.”

All photos were taken by Eilif Mikkelsen.