Sophomores picket MCAS, bar administrators

Wayland High School sophomores brought Wayland police to campus on late Tuesday afternoon by forming a picket line in response to the day’s MCAS testing. The protesters, all members of the class of 2011, had created a human blockade, preventing Principal Tutwiler and Vice Principal Mizoguchi from leaving the staff parking lot.

According to inside sources, planning for the demonstration began sometime during late third block and early fourth block Tuesday, when almost the entire class of 2011 was in the Commons, skipping class. “You see we had just gotten out of a session of MCAS. If we get yelled at by our teachers, we can just say we were in overtime,” explained one anonymous sophomore.

When Tutwiler and Mizoguchi attempted to leave campus that afternoon around 5:00 PM, they were greeted by a rowdy crowd of students bearing pitchforks and signs with various anti-MCAS slogans. “WE’RE SMART ENOUGH WITHOUT IT!” proclaimed one.

Led by several enthusiastic students with bullhorns, who were standing on chairs pulled from the language building, the crowd roared protest chants while marching in circles around the staff parking lot.

Experts suggest that sophomores are far more likely to be upset over MCAS requirements than other classes, mostly because sophomore year requires particularly large amounts of testing. Earlier that day, the class of 2011 had undergone the long composition section of the English-language test. A passing grade on all MCAS tests administered during sophomore year is necessary to obtain a high school diploma.

Despite their outward rage, a few sophomores admitted there would be downsides if their demands for “MCAS-free education” were not met. “They gave us a free breakfast today because we had to take the test,” commented one. “I’ll miss that.”

Both Principal Tutwiler and Vice Principal Mizoguchi emerged from the incident “traumatized, but otherwise unharmed.”