Varsity girls lacrosse defeated in season opener

Wayland girls lacrosse kicked off their season with a home game last Tuesday against long-time town rival, Weston. The Warriors stepped onto the field coached by Tracey Drown, returning from last year. The game remained close for much of the first half, Wayland trailing 3-2 to their tough opponent. But the Wildcats scored two more times before the half closed, leaving the score at 5-2.

In the second half, the Wildcats persisted, scoring five more goals. The Warriors picked up the pace towards the end of the game, as junior offender Hanna Peper scored twice in the second half for the Warriors. Wayland scored three goals in the last five minutes of the game.

Senior Captain Iris Irwin also scored a notable goal with just under two minutes left in the game. Irwin played the entire game as a low defender, a position that rarely scores. However, Iris received a pass from her teammate at the top restraining line and she drove to net, scoring her first goal of the season. Other goal contributors included junior center Mel Sperling, wings Lindsey MacDonald and Lindsay Shelton, and offensive senior captain Lily Freedberg.

Wayland’s defense proved to be strong. Led by Irwin, the back defense also included juniors Maggie Davis, Liz Doyon, and Molly Murphy. Junior defensive wing Lindsay MacDonald and freshman defensive wing Katie Terranova also played a strong game in the middle of the field.

Both of Wayland’s junior goalies, Sammy Levitt and Emily Pederson, started the season well. Each had eight saves and both let up five goals.

The game ended with a final score of 10 – 7, the Wildcats triumphant over the Warriors, but the push in the last five minutes makes Wayland hopeful for their games to come this season.

The Warriors met with the Arlington Spy-Ponders for a game last Thursday, but twenty minutes into the first half a referee sustained an injury to his knee, and was unable to continue officiating. Since the first half was not completed, the official season opener had to be rescheduled for April 13th.

This week the Warriors are scheduled to play Dover-Sherborn at home on Monday, and at Newton-South on Tuesday.