Spring Track: new season, new goals

The air is warmer, the days are longer, and once again the outdoor track is in full use. Both returning champions and first-year athletes can be found on the girls track team, each prepared to set and accomplish her own individual goals.

“As the new head coach of the outdoor track season, I am excited about the upcoming season,” said Coach Shelly Fraser. “This year to date has seen the biggest turnout ever, to my knowledge. This is encouraging as this shows that female athletes are interested in a healthier lifestyle and a team commitment. We have a strong returning group of athletes whose progress I am excited to track throughout the season.”

Among those returning athletes is senior, Jill Flieger. Jill, who was a member of the javelin state relay team last year, plans on continuing to throw javelin this year, as well as shot put and discus. “Last year was my first year doing outdoor track,” commented Jill. “I hope to qualify this year and have an overall great last season of my high school career.”

Olivia Newhall-Thayer, an experienced shot-put thrower, hopes to continue her success from the winter track season as she returns for another year of outdoor girls track. “I threw my farthest during winter track on the last meet of the season,” said Olivia. “I want to improve on my farthest throw earlier this season.”

Along with returning athletes, new faces can be found on the team, such as junior Laura Moschella. “It’s a new experience,” said the first time javelin thrower. “It’s harder than it looks, but I’m willing to put in the effort.”

Also among the new athletes is freshman Chelsea Cherenfant, who is hoping to reach her goal of jumping 11 feet in the long jump. “I’m getting close to reaching my goal, with 8.8 feet,” said Chelsea. “Even though my thighs kill, I’m in better shape than I was before, which was one of my goals.”

In addition, there are many returning runners who are taking a chance and participating in field events for the first time. Junior Katherine Rafuse is planning on running the 200m and the 4×200 relay team, as well as participating in the long jump and javelin throw for the first time.

“That’s the beauty of track,” Katherine commented. “Every season presents new opportunities for new events.”