Legendary "Hill Day" replaced by campus celebration

Friday will be the last day for all the seniors, and in the back of their minds many students and faculty wonder if 2009 has any more surprises up their sleeves. It appears though, that it will be a much tamer celebration than some past years (at least on paper). Friday will be a regularly scheduled A Day with a normal bell schedule.

On Wednesday, Class ’09 advisers sent an e-mail out to all of the faculty outlining scheduled events for the day, starting with the apprehensive line: “It’s that time of year again…”

It appears the legendary Hill Day is to remain a legend, and in its place Class of 2009 will follow ’08’s lead in a celebratory Campus Chaos Run. After the Wayland Police serve breakfast for the senior class, the seniors will gather in the courtyard at 7:30 to celebrate their last official day. Seniors will be invited to run and chant through the halls together for “approximately 5 minutes.” Underclassman are invited to clap seniors out and cheer them on. Teachers are invited to join in, or close their classroom door if they choose.

The seniors are expected back in class by 7:45, and teachers have been told to “consider them tardy” if they are not back by that time. Seniors will be attending their regularly scheduled lunch period, where staff will help serve them their last WHS lunch. At the end of the day a BBQ will be held in the Commons courtyard, accompanied by a band. This celebration will lead into the Faculty-Student Talent Show.

In the e-mail, the advisers said, “We did consider a special bell schedule to eliminate the confusion and disruption at the beginning of the day. However, we decided that a special bell schedule would create more confusion and disrupt the entire day.”

Congratulations Class of 2009. On behalf of all of us at WSPN we hope you have a great last day, and many more great days to come!