Wiffleball tourney comes to WHS

Until a few weeks ago, many members of Wayland High School had been looking forward to the traditional dodgeball tournament that usually closes out the year. Unfortunately, due to problems with the field house, this event has been canceled.

When junior Greg Eng learned of the cancellation, he was very upset. “I really thought some sort of activity would be good for the school, so I decided to approach Student Council with the idea to have a wiffleball tournament instead,” explained Eng.

Student Council loved the idea. At its first meeting on Thursday, the newly elected Student Council discussed the idea and began to put it into action. The first pitch of the tournament will be thrown after the last final exam on Tuesday, June 23th at 12PM.

Similar to the canceled dodgeball tournament, the entry fee is $30 per team. Bragging rights as well as a cash prize are the rewards for winning. Each game will be three innings long with two outs, and the winner of each game will advance in the bracket. A final five-inning game will decide the champions.

Student Council President Lauren Jenny commented, “We hope this will be a new and exciting tradition, along with dodgeball. It is a great way to bring the school together for a last time before summer and the seniors leave for college.”

Said junior Dan Defina, “I’ve been honing my wiffleball skills and have been wanting an opportunity to showcase them for years. Just wait until you see my curveball!”

Student Council woud like to add that anyone interested in playing must sign up in the main office by Wednesday, June 17th. For detailed rules, check the Facebook event or the main office.

$60
$1500