Girls Varsity Soccer Wins Season Openers

Focus and hard work paid off for the Girls Varsity Soccer team as they won their first two games of the season.

On Wednesday, September 9th, Varsity Girls Soccer opened their season on the home turf against Newton-South, a strong Dual County League opponent.

It was a fast-paced game. In the beginning of the first half, the Warriors and the Lions battled for possession.

With ten minutes left in the half, the Warriors made their first corner kick. The kick, which came from senior captain Mel Sperling, was driven into the six yard box, and sophomore Maeve Moynihan stepped in front of the goalkeeper to head the ball into the back of the net for a Wayland goal. Wayland finished off the half strong, leading 1-0.

“Everyone played really well, and (everyone played) hard. We kept our composure the whole game and never let down,” explained senior captain Lindsay Shelton.

In the second half, the Lions were awarded a direct kick on the 18 that could have tied the game. The shot was directed into the far corner but saved by senior captain Liz Doyon, and Wayland defense cleared the ball.

After the Newton-South opportunity, the Wayland back unit, consisting of juniors McKenzie Jones, Katie Conley, and Jaime Reichlin, allowed the Lions no more chances.

In the 68th minute the Warriors sealed the win with a second goal. Junior Emily Nuss passed a through ball to junior Claire Nishioka who fought for the finish on net.

For the last twelve minutes the Warriors held off the Lions. Doyon had ten saves in the Warriors 2-0 shutout.

“I think our success in (our first) game came from our hard work in practice,” said Sperling. “This was the right way to start the season,” added coach Guy Enoch. “The win was just an added bonus.”

On Friday, the Warriors traveled to Millennium field to play another important DCL game against Boston Latin.

Wayland started off the game strong, and in the fourth minute Sperling scored off of an assist from Moynihan. The Warriors kept control the first half, and in the 15th minute, Nishioka scored after a cross from junior Carly Foreman.

The Boston Latin Wolves were only allowed two shots on the Wayland goalkeeper, and in the 35th minute the Warriors sealed the game. Senior Claire Leichter assisted for a goal by senior Whitney Fletcher.

In the sixth minute of the second half the Warriors scored their final goal, as sophomore, Moynihan headed a crossed ball and it was rebounded off of the top post. Senior Lauren Jenny then cut to ball from the six yard box to finish the rebounded ball into net.

Boston Latin goalkeeper Christiana Hynds had 17 saves for the Wolves. The game finished slow because of high winds and rainy weather, but it was a 4-0 shutout win for the Warriors, making their record 2-0 to start the season.

“Our focus and hard work during preseason and practice has paid off,” said Shelton. “We are working together to accomplish a common goal, and knowing that you have your teammates support on and off the field is a great feeling,” said Sperling.

The Warriors will play Bedford away on Tuesday and rival Weston at home on Thursday.