Pokémon: deep within the Pokédex

Pokémon: deep within the Pokédex

Ahhh, Pokémon. They fight, gain experience, and eventually evolve, and we must bid adieu to the cute little fuzzballs they started off as. It truly is amazing the bond we share with these virtual pocket monsters, but the day will come when we must say goodbye and move on to training new Pokémon. When that happens, it is important that we realize there can be no greater friendship than that of a Pokémon. In order to obtain this kind of friendship we must keep several things in mind.

Treat your Pokémon with kindness. You may be asking yourself, why are Pokémon such great companions? Well, that’s a terrific question. Pokémon are eternally loyal, and will always stay by your side if you treat them properly. Actually, unless you’re that jerk Gary, chances are your Pokémon are going to love you.

When training your own Pokémon, you must always treat them with kindness. An angry Pokémon will usually become resistant and end up stuffing itself in its pokeball for the duration of battles. It’s also important to keep an open mind. Try to think about what you both have in common: “Hmmm, well, we both enjoy the occasional rare candy, we both live for the thrill of victory following battle….” The emotions of a Pokémon are quite similar to your own when you think about it.

Always be resourceful. My resourcefulness as a Pokémon trainer was crucial the day I captured my very first Poliwag. I had been playing for several days trying to “Catch ‘em All,” as the theme song states. I probably remember this day so well because I had begun to smell after so much non-stop action. Pokémon should ALWAYS take precedence over hygiene.

Anyway, I had stumbled into a thick patch of grass in a coastal region near Cerulean City. For some reason, Pokémon love those patches of grass — go figure. Suddenly, “A wild Poliwag appears!” came up on the screen. My heart thumped with anticipation of the battle ahead.

Instantly, I knew that this little tadpole would be a perfect addition to my team of pocket monsters, but in its fragile state I did not want to injure it in my attempted capture. It was necessary to use the resources I had to catch Poliwag. I whipped out my trusty Jigglypuff and put it to sleep with the handy “Sing” move. This ensured no harm came to Poliwag and at the same time made him a lot easier to capture. My collection had grown one pokémon stronger that day because of my resourcefulness.

Don’t get too cocky! It’s important to retain a humble stance as a trainer. If you are on a victory streak, don’t let it go to your head. Your Pokémon are by no means invincible; they can faint. After I started leveling up my Poliwag, I learned the faults of being a cocky trainer. Poliwag and I would purposely face rock trainers to gain an upper edge. (Everyone knows, water beats rock.) Oh, how we used to laugh as we dealt out critical hits to Geodudes and Onyxs.

We kicked some dust in the face of Pewter City gym leader Brock as he wept like a baby following a demoralizing loss to Poliwag. Our cocky nature was foolish. We strutted about Pallet Town like we were the toughest cats around. Our victory had blinded us to the battles ahead, and when we faced off against Misty it just wasn’t pretty. Poliwag was destroyed by everything Misty threw at us. It was one of the most shameful moments of my poke-career. So don’t be like Poliwag and me; be humble and accept victory by a shake of the hand or tip of the cap.

It can be a tough road out there when you are trying to become a Pokémon master. If you have faith in the skills of your Pokémon it will be a lot easier to acquire all one hundred fifty of these fuzzy little pocket monsters, but still, always be cautious and take these tips to heart.

$60
$1500