New high school awaits voter approval

hsrender-withtitle
An artist's rendering of the new high school project. (Credit: HMFH Architects)
This article is part of a series on the new Wayland High School building project.

Talk of a new high school has been circulating in Wayland for many years, but after November 18th’s town meeting we may finally know how much longer the town will wait. A new high school will be on its way if supporters obtain a two-thirds majority.

The state requires a simple majority at the ballot when a town wants to take on debt; this will happen on November 17th. However, the town has stricter laws, requiring a two-third majority to allow debt.

The high school was soundly rejected in 2005 by a 2645 to 2005 margin. However, proponents are far more optimistic this time around. They contend that the opportunity to get funding for the school will never be this good, while the current high school’s condition will only deteriorate.

The state is offering to pay $25 million towards the $70.8 million project. State Treasurer Tim Cahill has promised that a portion of the new state sales tax would be locked away and guaranteed to fund high school construction projects like Wayland’s. Check out floor plans for the project >>

If the town rejects the plan, that state money will not be available again to Wayland for a long time. Lea Anderson, the head of the High School Building Committee, describes the process as a queue. “We are currently in front of the line to get the money. If we say no thank you, we have to go all the way back to the end of the line and wait as other towns build high schools.”

flybyhs
An aerial view of the new high school project, which includes the iconic field house. (Credit: HMFH Architects)

According to Anderson, there is a long list of reasons why we need a new high school. “The high school was built in the 1950s, so there are many things that are outdated.” The lack of space is one of the main problems.

The problem, in a nutshell, is that more kids are doing more things than when Wayland first built the high school. All of the classrooms for the major subjects (science, math, English, and social studies) are smaller than what the state recommends and many cannot sustain larger classes. In addition, the Little Theater is capable of holding fewer than half the students; the special education and music programs have trouble finding space.

The buildings themselves might be out of date regardless of the number of kids. Many government authorities have cited the high school for being inadequate in a variety of ways. The state has warned the town of crumbling roofs and poor air quality. Other reviews have found there to be a potential danger of mold and of asbestos.

The town has already developed a plan for construction. The existing high school would remain open while the new high school is being built, so there should not be much interference with the actual school day.

The only substantial impact the project will have on current students is in the form of transportation. The new high school would be built on top of the current student parking lots. If kids can not park at the school, more parents will have to pick up and drop off their kids, the juniors and seniors may lose some freedoms, and the bus system – already stressed – may face additional riders.

Another problem is that to obtain the state government aid, the town will need higher taxes. This will mean a $483/year (4.5%) increase in property taxes for the average household.

The question boils down to this: “Is it worth it?” Does the town value education enough to pay more for a new high school, and will having a new high school actually improve education in Wayland?

More information about the project can be found at the High School Building Committee’s website.

[polldaddy poll=2172104]

$210
$1500