Flu season: that joyous time of year

Flu season: that joyous time of year

November and December are the two worst months of the year in my opinion. It’s that time of year again: Everyone is out sick, and then of course there’s the make up work. I was sick for two days two weeks ago, and it took me a week to catch up on everything I missed, plus all the end-of-quarter quizzes. It’s ironic that Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, all those joyous celebrations are right in the middle of flu season.

Swine flu is really scaring everyone. If one person sneezes in the hallway, everyone is running, like an evacuation zone. It’s like something out of The Day After Tomorrow. I’ve seen people pull wild stunts if someone next to them sneezes. They flip and twist in all different ways, cowering behind their binders. The Matrix has nothing on the high school students.

But a few good things come out of this: Everyone is so busy running as fast they can to their class to avoid the lingering flu that nobody gets demerits. And there’s another thing: If you want some space or a little private time at lunch, all you’ve got to do is start coughing, maybe toss in a little sniffle and a fake sneeze, and suddenly the area is more deserted than a disaster zone. If you’re lucky, you can scare away the kids with the good lunches and get yourself some free food. Maybe some people brought in Halloween candy….

At least there were some vaccinations, so hopefully more people won’t get sick. What’s sad, but still really funny, is that I didn’t get a flu vaccination because I was out with the flu. It would be like getting a Kevlar vest right after you got shot.

Well, that’s about it for this week. I’ll have another post next week – if I don’t catch anything else.

Andy

$210
$1500