Students speak out on new high school

Students speak out on new high school
7783353
$210
$1500

$210
$1500

• H

HenryClayDec 15, 2009 at 10:55 PM

If by any chance there is a parent, or any adult reading these comments im sure you are all shaking your heads at the fact that all we seem to care about is the parking. Yes, it is partially ridiculous and no, i am not of voting age or supporting a family or paying taxes. So in case you were to respond with any of those facts do not think im ignorant of them. I understand that paving the softball field as initially proposed would be expensive but im fairly sure that there is some way to compromise. The fact of the matter is that all students think their parents are too distanced from the school to understand them and all parents think their children are too immature to know what is important. Its not as if that will all miraculously change over this issue. All im asking for is a sort of compromise, weve been seeing all preceding seniors leaving and getting food and such during frees. As a junior this year its almost a cruel joke, i mean my dream (seriously i know its sad but its not as if anything in wayland is walkable anyway) is to be able to go out with my friends in my frees as a senior. My friend and i have been counting down the days till we got our licences since the moment we met on our bus in 7th grade. All i really want is parking for my senior year and if that seems petty please awknowledge the fact that we wont even get to go to this newfangled school, haha, i mean it IS all we care about because it is the only part that affects us. Im no girly-girl and i can take a longer walk than the current senior lot or wait a few months into my senior year to get parking all i really want is PARKING… in any form haha.So basically im asking for the higher-ups to consider my point of view and maybe try and find a compromise. I just had to voice my opinion because i dont think i can complain about a situation unless i try and fix it.

• F

FrustratedDec 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Well, I must say how amazing it is that people who will not be attending this school before, during, or after the construction, have such a strong opinion about this issue. I find it absolutely ridiculous that this town found it completely unnecessary to consult students on the building of their own high school. I know it might be a shocker, but many students (the majority, I believe) enjoy the open campus. I, being one of those students, feel as though I should have a say in this matter that will be totally affecting my time at Wayland High School.
    To Brill Crosby, (whoever you are) you say: “If you want college prep, try making good use of the great education you’re getting. Instead of drawing in your notebook, invest in the class. It makes things more interesting and prepares you for life – you won’t always be able to zone out and then copy the notes from a friend later.”
    First off, I’m not sure that you are a student at whs, and I therefore don’t think you should be judging individuals “who are drawing in their notebooks.”
    Frankly, there are many high schools that give just a good education in teachers/ faculty (although Wayland is one of the best) yet for some reason, we students manage to be prepared for college. Education can only take you so far, and if a school tells me that I’m responsible enough to decide whether or not to stay on or off campus, that’s a much more helpful education.
    When I speak of open campus, I mean not only going on and off campus, but actually moving around. I’m not sure that many realize that very few of us get to go outside at all unless you do an outdoor sport.
    I suppose though, that my opinion doesn’t count, because I’m not a registered voter or homeowner, only an unimportant member of a school that doesn’t listen to its students.

• S

sophmoreDec 3, 2009 at 9:05 PM

I LOVE whs. sure it needs some updates, but the open campus is AMAZING.
    its my favorite thing- and I LOVE IT MORE IN THE WINTER. Its what makes whs special, and im sad to see it go. I’m not worried about parking- im sure things will work out. But coming back to an unfamiliar whs is going to be awful.

Well, at least I wont be here when the new school comes. I love open campus.
    I feel bad for everyone who is gonna be at the old whs for a few years b4 it switches- thats gonna be horrible. going from a nice open campus to a dreaded locked building just like LS.

Its sad that whs is leaving- I feel that we are losing a lot of what makes WHS special with it.

• S

samNov 27, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Our town does need a new school, we need it to stay certified or whatever, but… Our school DOES have charachter. Its special and its MY highschool… when i come back to visit all my memories will be gone. The layout isn’t even the same with the new high school. And ive been in the highschool for a couple years now, and it doesnt really bother me that we have open campus when its cold out. Its unique and fun to watch freshman slip on the ice.. haha just kidding but i still value the freedom we get with an open campus. We get to do things most schools can’t with it, and were not all stuffed up and bursting to get out every second. I dont care if the school is crumbling, i dont care if it is ugly. Its a place to learn, should it matter that my classrooms arent pristine and perfect? unless its a general safety hazard i dont see why we cant keep the 6 or so building layout.

• B

brill crosbyDec 4, 2009 at 5:34 PM

It is a safety hazard – none of the buildings are up to fire code. In classrooms such as h10, having an average size class with 25 students or more IS a safety hazard.

There are tunnels under the school that connect all of the buildings, for HVAC reasons mostly. The tunnels in the science building are chock full of ASBESTOS. That’s right. Asbestos in just hanging out under you while you learn chemistry.

There are two buildings in the new design – you’ll be able to go outside. WHS isn’t turning into a detention centre. No one will force you to stay in the academic building all day, and if you want to eat, the commons is – read my words carefully – separate from the academic building, thus you’ll have to go outside.

Think of the kids at our schools who are permanently in wheelchairs or scooters, and (for some reason) the kids who always seem to get injured and are on crutches. The pathways are deteriorating and it makes them unsafe. When the paths flood (um, remember Thursday? I was practically swimming) it’s not safe for anyone.

There may even still be icy pavement between the two buildings. Fear not, for ye, future freshmen will still slip (as well as find 10000 other ways to embarrass themselves).

Another reason we can’t keep the six buildings is the economic situation. It’s incredibly expensive to have the doors opening and closing all day, as it lets the heating and AC out, costing the school more money, meaning we don’t have money to do things that need to be done…like fixing sidewalks and desks that can’t balance.

The school is not what makes the memories – YOU make them. Am I sad that I won’t be able to show my kids where I suffered through maths class, met my first love, got my H1N1 shot? Sure, but if I decide to live in Wayland when I grow up, I would rather have them go to a school that’s 100% safe for them than a school that has a lot of great memories.

• T

totally against itDec 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM

I understand that having the same number of buildings that we do now is not economically feasible. However, I do not believe that the current design is the RIGHT design.

I do agree that we need a new school- I just wish that there were more than two buildings, maybe instead of having the classroom building be two stories make it into two one story buildings.

• R

row botNov 26, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I don’t think they should do a new one like they are planning. I really like the set up of our school and I WILL miss the open campus. Even in the winter. Schools the same everyday, its exciting when it snows. I feel like our open campus brings us together. I like it. I like the idea of a new school. Our school is run down. But They should just do the same thing, and they could do it building by building so it’d be one at a time. That way seniors could have parking too. I mean we care the most about parking. Its true. But its not stupid because its our school. And we are the students so we should at least get what we care about. I say they redo it but in a way that allows parking and in the same format. Yeah the open campus annoys us sometimes but I think everybody loves it at the end of the day.

• L

LaineNov 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Honestly, some of the responses in this video are cringe-worthy. For the class of 2013 if all goes to plan you WILL be spending your senior year in the new high school, so you should probably care about it somewhat. In terms of parking I’m sure that the school and town will figure out a way for people to park. If that’s your only concern in regards to the building of a new high school then I have no other words then stop being ridiculous.

I wonder how may people will say “I will miss the open campus” when it starts to snow. And the new WHS will be far from the “lego blocks” of L-S. There will still be two buildings and a courtyard and as far as I know there have been no talks of getting rid of the open-campus atmosphere, students will still be allowed to leave. The new facilities the new building will afford to teachers, students, and staff are sorely needed and have been for years.

No one can deny that WHS as it stands today holds some incredible memories of years past, but we shouldn’t tie these memories to some old, run-down buildings. Just because the buildings won’t be there doesn’t mean the memories won’t.

• T

totally against itDec 3, 2009 at 9:13 PM

You graduated from WHS just a few years ago. are you saying that you didn’t like open campus?
      i agree with both sam and rowbot. it really brings our school together- freshman fall and then a helping hand brings them to their feet. Plus, open campus makes us awake after a long class, its refreshing.
      and its different, which makes it even better.
      WHS has always been known for its great college preparation- and the open campus provides freedoms and that college feel that so many of us love.

and by open campus- i mean the California style campus- not off campus privileges

and it looks just like LS.

Lastly, I bet that at least 3/4 of the students that go to whs will tell you that they WILL miss the open campus. and its defiantly best when it snows.

• B

brill crosbyDec 4, 2009 at 5:43 PM

If you want college prep, try making good use of the great education your getting. Instead of drawing in your notebook, invest in the class. It makes things more interesting and prepares you for life – you won’t always be able to zone out and then copy the notes from a friend later.

As I explain in my post below, the California style campus fails in New England for many reasons. Read below.

• B

brill crosbyDec 4, 2009 at 5:18 PM

mte. I love you.

Students speak out on new high school