Robinson faces senate primary, seeks Republican nomination

Jack E. Robinson's campaign website outlines Robinson's views and plans if elected to the Senate. (Screenshot: David Ryan/WSPN)

Jack E. Robinson III, an Massachusetts attorney, entrepreneur, and self-proclaimed Washington and Beacon Hill outsider, hopes to become one step closer to filling the open senate seat left vacant by the late Ted Kennedy today. As of yesterday Robinson was still behind in the polls to his only Republican competitor, State Senator Scott Brown. However, that has not stopped Robinson from campaigning day and night across the state, pushing for last minute votes before today’s primaries.

After receiving a Bachelors Degree from Brown University and a Masters in Business Administration from Harvard, Robinson spent many years working in the private sector. This work is what inspired him to run for political office. If elected, Robinson plans to use his private sector experience to help create jobs in this tough American economy.

When asked in an interview with WSPN whether or not he approved of the job President Obama has done so far, he wouldn’t commit either way, but he did say that he was against the stimulus TARP.

When questioned as to whether he would be okay with breaking up banks considered too big to fail, he was much more explicit. “Absolutely,” said Robinson.

Robinson has a 12-step plan for health care reform, which he summarized as being,” focused on competition.” According to his campaign website, the plan will save the country $100 billion each year.

One plan Robinson would try to implement as Massachusetts’s Junior Senator would award merit pay to math and science teachers. Math and science teachers are the only educators who would receive merit pay because, according to Robinson,  “Those are two subjects where America is falling behind foreign countries: India, China, and now even Europe.”

Another piece of legislation Robinson hopes to get passed is a law to extend the school day from 9-5. The extra time would not be spent in the classroom but outside, learning about physical education and participating in extracurricular activities. The goal of this legislation would be to keep kids off the street and help working parents maintain full time jobs. If a student showed evidence of legitimate employment the student would be exempt from the extended school hours.

While his relationship with the Republican Party has been rocky in the past during a prior run for MA Senator as well as a run for Secretary of Massachusetts, this time around he characterizes his relationship with the Republican establishment as “good.” Some of this tension may be caused by some of his liberal views, most notably his support of gay marriage.

In fact, a repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act is one of the first three pieces of legislation Robinson would try to get passed. His other two most pressing legislative goals are to reduce capital gains taxes and balance the national budget.

Robinson grew up in Roxbury, Massachusetts, and spent 8 summers of his childhood as a camper at YMCA Camp Becket in the Berkshires. Robinson claims that the lessons he learned there of, as he put it, “friendship, camaraderie, and helping the other fellow”, are what have prepared him for life as a politician.

Robinson hopes to come out on top today, Tuesday, December 8, when votes are cast in the Republican primary for the office of US Senator.

To read WSPN’s article on Scott Brown, Robinson’s Republican opponent, click here.