Swimming wins, wraps up regular season

Isabel Schwartz swims the 200 yard freestyle. (Credit: Trevor Dixson)

The Wayland Swimming and Diving team entered their final week of meets last week before the upcoming championships with wins all around,  closing their regular season with Dual County League opponents Hopkinton and Tyngsboro.

The boys’ team used its depth to score a big win at Hopkinton on Tuesday. Hopkinton, a formidable opponent, placed third at the Max Reed Invitational earlier this year, just a few points behind second-place Wayland.

While Wayland held back in the medley relay, earning second place, the rest of the meet put some of the Warriors best swims forward. Senior captain Travis Downs was a double winner for Wayland in the 200-yard free and the 100-yard freestyle events.

“The 200 free really set the tone for us early in the meet,” said Wayland Coach Mike Foley, “It was a great time and a big psychological win for the team.”

Junior Michael Ren followed with an important win in the 200-yard individual medley, upsetting one of Hopkton’s strongest swimmers.

“[Ian] Stack kept the momentum rolling in the 50-yard free,” said Foley. Senior captain Charlie D’Orlando also earned vital points for the Warriors in the sprint freestyle events. Said Foley, “Charlie is going to play a big part in the team’s end of season goals.”

Wayland took first in both freestyle relays, the 200-yard and the 400-yard, which included Downs, Stack, Matt Devlin, and D’Orlando in the 200, and Downs, Stack, Ren, and senior captain Bobby Dresser in the 400.
[adrotate group = “2”]

Wayland’s point earning depth came from freshman Sasha Parfenov, who had a lifetime best in the individual medley and nearly a lifetime best in the backstroke. Sophomore Mark Crisafulli also picked up some important points in the 100-yard butterfly event.

The boys finished the meet with a winning score of 93-90. “We [swam] with a lot of confidence,” said Foley, proud of what he saw.

On the girls’ side, a team effort gave the Warriors a solid win. Wayland won the first five events to get the meet off to a good start, including the medley relay of Liz Doyon, Keely Griffin, Allie Wuerfl, and Emily Nuss.

Sophomore Saya Higano, and freshmen Isabel Schwartz and Catherine Barber took 1-2-3 in the 200-yard freestyle respectively for Wayland. Freshman Meghan Pierce won the individual medley.

Junior Michelle Cunningham dropped several seconds for a lifetime best in the individual medley, and Ellen Barber followed suit, dropping two seconds to finish third.

Wayland divers Whitney Fletcher, Carolyn Jones, and Courtney Owens scored 1-2-3 in the diving event. Jaime Reichlen, Erin Curtin, Pierce, and Juliette Basterache won the 200-yard freestyle relay.

“Mary Downs [had a] big win in the 100 backstroke,” said Foley, and her older sister Emily won the 500-yard freestyle, while Jenny Huber took third place. Griffin continued her successful meet and dropped several seconds in the breaststroke to take second behind Nuss and earn a lifetime best.

The team cheers on senior Susan Cunningham as she competes in the breaststroke. (Credit: Trevor Dixson)

Wayland finished their regular season against Tyngsboro on Friday, with a win for both the boys’ and girls’ teams.The medley relay of D’Orlando, Andy Gusev, Rory McHarg, and Brian Murtagh took the win in the first event.

“Murtagh led the way,” said Foley, “He won in the 100 fly and [he was] on 2 winning relays, the medley and the 200 free. On the 200-yard freestyle relay Stack, Dennis Lau, and Dan Crisafulli joined Murtagh.

First place finishes included Ren in the 100-yard free, Zach Baxter in the 200-yard free, Gusev in the 50-yard free, Austin Brennan in diving, and Downs in the 100-yard backstroke.  Devlin in the individual medley dropped four seconds.

Parfenov, freshman Doug Curtin, McHarg, and junior Graham Mellen swept the 500 free. Curtin also took 4th in the diving competition. Junior Gavin LaRochelle took home 2nd in the 100-yard free, and freshman Scott Becker earned a lifetime best in the 200-yard free, also taking 2nd.

The girls finished the season on a good note with a win at Tyngsboro. Freshman Caroline Mellen won the 50-yard free, and junior Val Eisenson won the 100-yard butterfly and qualified for sectionals.

Sophomore Saya Higano earned double wins in the 200-yard individual medley and the 500-yard freestyle, “She had great swims,” commented Foley. Pippa Edwards and Jenny Huber completed the sweep, taking second and third in the IM event.

Freshman Isabel Schwartz was determined and earned 2nd in 500, qualifying for her first section cut, and she also won the 200-yard freestyle event. Mary Downs showed strong in the 200 free, as did Sam Kolovson.

Wayland took 1-2-3 in the 100-yard freestyle with Doyon, Griffin, and Brielle Durant. The Warriors also swept the breaststroke with Downs, Susan Cunninham, and Hallie Cramer.

In the 200-yard freestyle relay, freshmen Wuerfl, Catherine Barber, Kristina Barakov, and Pierce broke the freshman record formerly held by Downs, Nuss, Reichlen and Michelle Cunningham.

At a diving invitational on Saturday, Wayland senior Will Bladon qualified for State Championships.

With the win at Tyngsboro, the boys ended the season 12-3, and the girls ended the season undefeated 13-0. This week Wayland will enter its championship season starting with the Dual County League Championship on Friday for the boys, and Saturday morning for the girls.

$210
$1500