T-Tones win community service fair sing off

The T-Tones, Wayland High's all-male a cappella group, competed at the Community Service Fair Sing Off at the Chesnut Hill Mall on Sunday, and won time at the Bristol Studios recording studio. (Credit: Melanie Wang/WSPN)

The Wayland High School Testostertones, the all-male a cappella group known around campus as the T-Tones, are a staple performance group at WHS with a rich history of talented singers and funny members. The T-Tones have been hard at work preparing for the last week’s whirlwind Winter Week festivities, as well as a plethora of other upcoming performances.

This Sunday, February 7th, all their practicing paid off when they won the Community Service Fair Sing Off at the Chestnut Hill Mall. Sponsored by TeenLife.com and Bristol Studios, the competition offered the winning a capella group five hours, or $600 worth of time in a Bristol Studios recording studio.

Fifteen local a capella groups, including the Belmont Hill B Flats, the Boston Latin Wolfettes, the Milton Academy Miltones and the Newton North Fortes showed up to compete in the singing battle.

[adrotate group = “2”]

The Testostertones sang a rendition of “Replay” by Iyaz, featuring Richard Ting, as well as the always-comedic “Most Beautiful Girl in the Room” by Flight of the Conchords, arranged and performed by Bobby Dresser. Jon Lustig soloed on The Who’s “Pinball Wizard”, coincidentally performed later that day by The Who themselves, during the Superbowl halftime show.

The Sing Off champions were decided by an electronic voting process. Votes were cast through text messaging all day, a process in which many WHS students participated. The T-Tones plan to record a CD with their five hours of studio time, which will be available for purchase.

Said T-Tones director Bobby Dresser, “Hopefully, we’ll make a full-length CD sometime towards the end of the year! It was great fun and an awesome opportunity… all the other groups were fantastic, and we’re just really lucky that we won!”