Warriors hockey takes a step backwards

Juniors Zach Bastarache and Eddie McCarthy crashed the net against Newton South last night. (Credit: The Barber Family)

On Thursday, February 11th, the Wayland Warriors boys hockey team played Newton South in Watertown. It was a battle between two great goaltenders. The Warriors started off early with a 1st period goal when Eddie “the Sniper” McCarthy dangled his way to the net and beat senior and three-time-DCL all-star, Gabe Fienstein. The goal was assisted by Evan “the Barbarian” Barber. The Warriors had a number of scoring opportunities, but their shots dinged off the goal posts on numerous occasions throughout the game.

Newton South put in a pair of lucky goals in the first two periods, but Cogan “the Catman” Register still made a number of well executed saves. Zach “the Z-TRAIN” Bastarache kept the Warriors’ spirits alive with countless back-breaking hits. “It just wasn’t working for us tonight, and we couldn’t finish our scoring opportunities,” said assistant captain Register in a post-game interview outside the locker room.

[adrotate group = “2”]

The Warriors lost 2 to 1 but still are looking for two more wins to make the playoffs and a chance at a state championship. Their next chance is tonight at The Rivers School, where they will play the Weston Wildcats. The puck will be dropped at 7:50 p.m. The game against Weston is considered to be the game of the year as the boys varsity looks for revenge after a close loss to them earlier this year.

$60
$1500