Winter athletics wrap-up

Swimmers compete in freestyle during the season. (Credit: Evan Barber/WSPN)

The 2009-2010 winter season officially ended  for the Warriors with boys basketball team’s loss Wednesday, March 3rd. Wayland teams this past season matched the number of state championships won by Wayland teams in the fall — three — giving us a grand total of six state titles for the year so far: not too shabby. However, unlike the fall titles, these winter championships were won in what are arguably Wayland’s most prestigious sports.

Wrestling made it to the state championship tournament for the third year in a row and came home with the championship this time. Boys swimming came out of nowhere, a little like last year, and defended their state title. And then there’s girls swimming, a team whose reign of dominance continued when they won their 5th straight state title. All in all, it was a pretty good winter season for the Warriors with a respectable 82-55 record overall between the 9 varsity sports teams competing in the tough Dual-County League.

First, let’s start with boys swimming. The team made their way to a repeat state championship, and Wayland has made Massachusetts sports history again. Last year, we became the first school ever to win both boys and girls state swimming championship in the same year. This year, we became the first school to ever repeat that feat. Can we do it again? Only time will tell.

The girls swim team had a season that was basically perfect, finishing the regular season 13-0, and then coming in first place at the Bay View Invitational, DCL Meet, Sectionals, and finally the State Championship. For the second year in a row, the girls swim team will graduate a class that has won a state championship every year they swam for the school.

Anybody who wishes to win a state championship during high school should drop their current winter sport and pick up swimming. Yes, everyone but the swimmers themselves may call the sport a”cult,” but who can make fun of success? Both boys and girls have had just that.

Wayland Wrestling won its second state title since ’06 this season. The Warriors didn’t have that one, dominant wrestler who you could always count on to win, but when it was crunch time they stepped up with a huge performance to bring home a championship.  The championship match was close, 28-27, down to the last weight class. Every match-up was pivotal that night. It all came down to senior caption Abe Freedberg, who won his match at heavyweight, and the title came with it.

Not every team performed the way they wanted to, and some will just have to look forward to next season. The boys hockey team came so close to state playoffs and hope to make a run again next year, since the team will lose only two seniors. The girls finished a long season with the record of 0-19. However, there is room for growth. The majority of the girls on the team are underclassman, and next year looks to be better.

Boys basketball had a great year, finishing the season at 16-6. They just couldn’t figure out a way to beat Bedford, who handed them half of their losses this year, including the season-ending loss of 60-49. Next season looks to be a uphill battle since 8 seniors are graduating and only 3 varsity players are returning.

However, there is some young talent in the program. The JV team went 14-3, and the freshman team went a perfect 17-0 this winter. It will be interesting to see the kind of season the basketball program will have next year.

All in all, the 2009-2010 winter season was a strong performance from all Warriors. Although I know we are short on money, I think it’s time we hang some banners from the rafters of the “Warrior Dome”. It would be a nice touch.

Meanwhile, the temperature around campus is starting to change, so it’s now time to pick up your sticks, gloves, rackets, balls, or whatever you’re planning to compete with in the spring of 2010.  Good luck to all in this season.

$210
$1500