Betsy Gavron chosen as new middle school principal

Betsy Gavron has been tapped to be the new principal of the Wayland Middle School. She is currently the vice principal. (Credit: Jonathan Chen / WSPN)

The Wayland Public Schools system has chosen current Wayland Middle School Vice Principal Betsy Gavron to take on the position of principal of the middle school.

Gavron will replace John Kaveleski, who has served in Wayland for 27 years. He has been principal for the past two years, and vice principal the prior 25 years. He is retiring July 1.

A math teacher at the middle school for 10 years, Gavron was also a house leader for nine of those years. Two years ago, she became vice principal under Kaveleski.

Gavron says she looks forward to taking over as principal and loves her job. She wants students to enjoy school as well. “When you have a job that you love, it’s a home away from home,” she said. “I want kids to feel like school is a home away from home.”

Prior to coming to Wayland, Gavron received a bachelor’s degree from Dartmouth and a master’s degree of education from Harvard. She was a teacher for four years in Vermont and was also a contracted writer one year at the Educational Development Center in Newton, Massachusetts.

[adrotate group=”2″]

Gavron was chosen from a pool of 60 candidates. Wayland Superintendent Gary Burton believes that Gavron is an excellent choice. “Mrs. Gavron has a very promising administrative career ahead of her,” Burton said. “I don’t think we could have done any better, and this community and the students and staff at the middle school will certainly benefit from her guidance and leadership.”

Gavron’s husband, David Gavron, is a social studies teacher at the high school. “Wayland has been my wife’s professional home for over a decade. The love and work she puts in her own family is equal to the one she puts in her professional home,” he said. “I know I am biased, but there is not a better person in the world to lead the Wayland Middle School.”

Many students also praise Mrs. Gavron. Sean Flynn, a sophomore at Wayland High, said that he has often heard his middle school brother commenting on how kind Mrs. Gavron is and that he looks forward to her becoming the middle school principal.

Gavron says that she will not make any changes to the middle school curriculum. One change that will occur at the middle school next year, unrelated to the new principal, will be the reduction of one cluster at the sixth grade level, from three down to two. The number of clusters in the seventh and eighth grades were both reduced to two this year.

Gavron will take office July 1. The new vice principal will be chosen sometime during April break from a pool of 150 candidates .

$60
$1500