Senior assassin game returns to campus

Seniors Peter Sullivan and Alex Kazarian look ready to play, armed with water bottles and wearing this week's safety item -- sunglasses. (Credit: Allie Gold/WSPN)

Many seniors look forward to playing Senior Assassin each spring, a game that tests the outgoing-students stealth. The survival game goes on for two to three weeks at the end of the school year. Seniors signed up compete to “kill or be killed.”

Players must kill their target by spraying them with a visible amount of water. No two people have the same target. There are numerous rules to the game outlined on the Facebook group, and whoever breaks any rule will be eliminated.

The school administration has made it clear this year that seniors are not permitted to play the game on Wayland High School’s campus. The official rules of the game state that no one can be killed indoors, but allow kills during school hours.

Contrary to popular belief, Assassin has never been allowed on campus. Wayland High students have played for over five years, and every year the school administration has banned the game on campus.

[adrotate group=”2″]

“We see that everyone is still wearing sunglasses, even when we said the game can’t go on, but we’ll only send students to the office if we see them explicitly squirting water on other students,” explained Dean of Students Scott Parseghian.

The main reason that the game is not allowed on campus is that some teachers complain about it disrupting class. Two years ago, one student actually dumped water onto another student in a classroom.

Another reason Assassins isn’t supported by administrators is due to the terminology involved in the game. An “assassin” has to “kill” his or her target. With the recent suicides that have occurred in schools across Massachusetts, the administration worries the game sends a bad message.

While Senior Assassins is only a game, some students take it very seriously. Seniors may team up and form conspiracies or mafias in order to help each other kill targets.

Seen a sudden surge in sunglasses on campus? Another rule of the game is that there are “safety items” which change every round. If players are carrying a safety item, they cannot be killed. This week’s safety item is sunglasses, which must be worn on the player’s eyes in order to provide immunity.

Senior Jon Lustig took on the task of managing the class-wide game this year, which includes assigning every person a target to “kill,” selecting safety items, and managing the Facebook group dedicated to the rules of the game.

Winning the game is simple. At the end of the two weeks, the senior with the most kills wins the game. The winners will get a sum of money, collected from the five dollars each senior pays to play the game. This prize money is another reason the school administration has banned the game on campus.

“Playing a game for money? That definitely isn’t allowed on campus,” pointed out Parseghian.

$210
$1500