Friday’s football game dedicated to veterans

Stu Keogh's signature on the drum set at WHS. (Photo Credit: Jackson Hubbell/WSPN))

Ten years ago, a tragedy stuck our nation: September 11th. Amid the chaos, Wayland High School band teacher Joseph Oneschuk organized a memorial for the following Friday’s football game.

During halftime of that game, all the veterans, firemen, policemen and EMTs in Wayland gathered on the field as the band played “God Bless America.”

Ten years later, the tradition lives on. This Friday, November 12th, when the Warriors play Bedford, the town’s veterans will be honored once again.

The event is now known as the Patriotic Football Game, intended to honor all the veterans and town servicemen. This Friday will mark the 10th time the game has been played.

Veterans who attend this event have served in World War II, the Vietnam War  and the Gulf War, to name a few.

During halftime of this year’s game, junior Erik Halperin will play “Taps.”  Halperin played “Taps” at the game for the first time last year, after shadowing the seniors who played the year before.

Dick Close will sing “God Bless America,” accompanied by the WHS pep band. Close has sung the song every year since the game was first started. He will also be singing the national anthem.

Close is a member of the Wayland Golden Tones, a chorus group of retirees here in Wayland. He has three brothers who were in the army, so he always looks forward to this event.

Oneschuk is very excited for the game this year. He believes that this event brings the community together.  “We should always remember our veterans, not just in times of need,” he said.

Although the event started in a time of need, he hopes to continue it for years to come.

Every year, in addition to the veterans of Wayland, the game is dedicated to Stu Keogh. Keogh, a 2001 WHS graduate and pep band drummer, has fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Before Keogh graduated from Wayland, he signed the drums in the band room.  To this day, that signature is still there.

The Patriotic Football Game will be held against Bedford on November 12 at Wayland High School. Start time is 7:00PM.