New restaurant offers lively atmosphere, good food

Tio Juan's Margaritas Mexican Restaurant, known as Margaritas, recently opened in Framingham. (Credit: Ally Toto/WSPN)

If you’ve driven through Framingham lately, you have probably passed by the recently opened Mexican restaurant Margaritas. The restaurant made its debut  this fall, replacing the Naked Fish. Curious about this new addition to the Wayland area, we decided to give Margaritas a try.

When we arrived at the restaurant, we were unpleasantly surprised with the lack of parking spaces and had to leave our car at Home Depot. However, the first thing we noticed when we entered was the authentic Mexican décor, making us feel like we had stepped out of the cold Framingham air and into the heart of Mexico. Because it was a busy Friday night, we were given a beeper upon arrival and told that the wait would be approximately twenty minutes.

Unfortunately, there was very little room for us to stand in the crowded entryway, and we found ourselves leaning against a wall.  Although we were offered beverages by a bartender, it was chaotic and crowded. To make matters worse, our “twenty minute wait” lasted nearly an hour.

After a long, confusing argument between two managers regarding our seating arrangements, we were finally escorted to a table.

Relieved to be sitting down, we quickly decided what to order after looking briefly through the large, brightly colored menu. A waitress came to our table immediately, apologetic for the long wait. She served us warm tortilla chips and very spicy salsa. The salsa had a muddy, unappetizing appearance and its piquant taste took us by surprise.

We ordered an appetizer of guacamole to hold us over until dinner, which came with large flat chips for dipping. The guacamole was fresh and tasty, but the chips were bland. In addition to the appetizer, we ordered fruity drinks. One of us decided to try a virgin mango margarita, while the rest of us ordered strawberry banana smoothies. All the drinks turned out to be refreshing and delicious.

Our meals came without much of a wait, contrary to what one might assume in such a crowded restaurant.

Each member of our party ordered a different entrée: Pig in a Poncho, Tequila Cilantro Chicken, Chicken Chimichanga, and Enchiladas Muchacha.

The Pig in a Poncho, listed on the children’s menu, was a Mexican version of Pig in a Blanket. This children’s plate consisted of a hot dog layered with melted cheese and wrapped in a tortilla crust. Accompanying the hot dog, there were a handful of fries that were light and crispy.

Another member of our party ordered the Tequila Cilantro Chicken dish and was delighted with the boneless chicken breast, describing it as moist and infused with herbal flavor.

The Chicken Chimichanga entrée was a medley of chicken and cheese, wrapped burrito style and fried until light and crispy. The Chimichangas were very tasty, and although fried, they were not at all greasy.

The final dinner entrée, Enchiladas Muchachas, was filled with tender chicken and bits of beef, along with a meaty ranchera sauce. The enchiladas were topped with cilantro, sour cream, and red onion and came with a side of beans.

For dessert,without hesitation, we ordered the Peanut Buttercup Pie, a rich and creamy mix of peanut butter ice cream and chocolate crust with whipped cream on top.

There was a helpful glossary with all of the Spanish words in the menu, which is very beneficial to those of us who don’t speak Spanish. Before leaving, we stopped in the bathroom and were startled by a strange male voice instructing us on how to say “thank you” in Spanish (Gracias). Interestingly, there is an ongoing recording of Spanish lessons playing in each restroom!

If you’re looking for a loud, lively restaurant with good food and a fun environment for all ages, Margaritas is a perfect place to go!

Ratings (out of five):

Service: ★★★

Atmosphere: ★★★★

Food: ★★★

Overall: ★★★