And One: IBL season debut

This week, we introduce to you the first post of WSPN’s new WHS Intramural Basketball League blog, And One, written by junior and Blue team member Andrew Herstine. Each week, And One will post updates on the league’s games, plus team standings and top scorers.

After last Tuesday’s try-out, the 2010 IBL season was officially underway. The draft was held and teams were formed after school the next day. Later on Wednesday, the rosters went public on Facebook. Trash talking began soon after.

The first set of games was on Thursday, December 9th, and I was pretty excited to make my debut. I was a little anxious because I hadn’t played since last winter, but after watching some bricks from the game before made me realize missing shots badly doesn’t mean a thing. I think that aspect of IBL encourages kids to play. We all miss and the times that you make it, it’s almost unexpected. And that is how I learned my first IBL lesson…

IBL Lesson of the Week:

IBL is rebounding.

If you can dominate the boards you’ll be close in almost every game. Occasionally, you may get a team that shoots lights out, but you’re more likely to get a team that chucks. So if you win the battle of the boards, you’re looking good.

IBL Player of the Week:

Tommy Carmichael was a beast on the boards. Carmichael was the center of Blacks 2-3 zone which allowed Blue open space on the perimeter. Blue kept chucking threes, and Tommy was in the paint gathering the bricks. In fact, Carmichael out-rebounded the entire Blue team by himself. He was also a leader for Black’s offense too, using his floor general skills to muster up a strong offensive showing. Black won their first game over Blue and looking at the height and strength they have, I have them as my early favorites to win it all.

IBL Play of the Week:

The play of the week and maybe the year happened when Yellow faced off against Grey. With seconds left in the game and the score tied, Andy Glovsky gathered a rebound and attempted to go coast to coast for a game winner for Grey. Glovsky got all the way to the basket for a lay-up, but then, out of nowhere, Daniel no-relation-to-Lebron James trailed the play and stuffed Glovsky as time expired. This forced the game into overtime, but Glovsky got the last laugh when Grey won by five.

With the first games in the books, there is still a lot left to be figured out. It’s been a while since people have played, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this week’s scores go up a little from the first week. Teams will be hoping to improve on their debut outings in the next round of games on Thursday.

Standings:

Black      1-o

Grey        1-0

White     1-0

Red          1-0

Blue         0-1

Yellow    0-1

Orange   0-1

Green      0-1

Top Scorers:

Matt Kaye (green)                   18 pts

Jerry Lerman (blue)                17 pts

Mike Kennedy (black)            16  pts

DJ Henderson (green)           15  pts

Four tied with                           14  pts

A peek at the roster: