Winter Week: Climate educator encourages action

Rouwenna Lamm speaks to students during Winter Week about their impacts on climate change and potential solutions. (Credit: Meredith Riley/WSPN)

Rouwenna Lamm, an educator for the Alliance for Climate Education, spoke to students during Winter Week about the effects of climate change and what students can do to reverse them.

Alliance for Climate Education (ACE) is an organization that educates students around the country about climate change. Not only do they warn of its effects, but they also offer ways that students can lead greener lives.

Lamm showed a multimedia presentation that displayed the average high school student’s environmental impact. Lamm encouraged students to be optimistic about the future of the climate, despite the sobering reminder of Earth’s limited natural resources.

At the end of the presentation, Lamm had all of the students fill out a form to take the Do One Thing, or DOT, pledge. The pledge asks each student to do one thing to decrease their environmental impact. Ideas included unplugging their electronics, riding their bikes more, and buying reusable bags.

The presentation ACE stressed the power that young around the country have if they work together, reminding students that youth have powered pioneering movement throughout American history, from the civil rights movement to women’s suffrage. Lamm encouraged WHS students to create their own ACE Action Team to fight climate change in the local community.

The presentation came on the same day that Vice Principal Bayard Klimasmith announced a student-run green initiative in the new school.

“Next year the Recycling Club will probably be renamed “Green Team.” We will be trying to complement our recycling efforts with a renewed focus on REDUCING waste and other inefficiencies (energy use, water conservation, etc.),” wrote Klimasmith in an e-mail to students.

Miss an event from Winter Week 2011? WSPN’s got it covered.