The Scarlett Letters: Feeling blue

This week, just in time for Valentine’s Day, WSPN introduces The Scarlett Letters, a new weekly blog on life and lessons in high school. Every Monday, Scarlett, our anonymous writer, will open up on everything from relationships and friends to parents, stress, and grades.

This Valentines Day comes after weeks of heavy snowfall. (CC: Flickr user mousiekm)

Watching Bridget Jones’s Diary and pigging out on dark chocolate was not my ideal Wednesday night. However, when the situation calls for it, which it indeed did, this ritual is an essential part of my grieving process.

No death occurred that day, no wide-spread catastrophe struck, and certainly no physical injury was inflicted. The only loss lay in my love life.

On that Wednesday afternoon I terminated my undefined bad romance. My reasons for not returning his texts or calls lay in his frustrating habits. Perhaps it was his lack of commitment, maybe his sporadic texting, or his desire to flirt with any living female.

Waiting for his texts and watching a new girl write on his Facebook wall every day was emotionally draining. In addition, he never let me meet his parents, another “red-flag” I will take into consideration next time.

I should have listened to Taylor Swift in Dear John, when she sings, “Run as fast as you can.”

Most girls want to be loved and appreciated, and so we fall into the rabbit hole of bad relationships. We want to be told we are pretty and taken to an expensive dinner, which our date pays for, of course.

Next time, I believe we should all corner the sweet nerd perpetually in the back of the library; someone who is not afraid to admit that he likes you. Someone who always   puts you first and never has mysterious girls writing on their Facebook wall, “I LUVED video-chatting W/ U<3”.

However, since it is high school, I feel we are all entitled to date “mistakes” so we never end up marrying one!

Forever searching for Prince Charming,

Scarlett

$210
$1500