Principal’s e-mail grabs student attention

Click this image to read the full-text of Mr. Tutwiler's message. (Screenshot: David Ryan/WSPN)

Principal Patrick Tutwiler sent out a controversial e-mail to parents on Monday, in anticipation of next week’s Senior Show and the class-wide parties that often follow.

In the e-mail, he discussed the show, the after-parties, and the binge drinking that can accompany the event. However, the core of his message was a call for a “change in tradition.”

Citing the potential for dangerous behavior, Tutwiler requested that parents abstain from hosting any parties after the Senior Show.

“The post show party has become something of a mainstay, but one riddled with dangerous behaviors and poor decision making,” he wrote. “This is not a tradition that the school endorses, and I would be derelict in my duty if I disregarded it because it happens off campus. I am unwilling to sit by idly and hope that nothing tragic happens.”

Tutwiler also announced that WaylandCares, WHSPO, and the Wayland Police Association would hold a potluck dinner before each of the three show performances.

The message has created a strong reaction among students, particularly the senior class of 2011. Among seniors, it has been a subject of discussion at school and on Facebook, although some remain neutral.

“I’m really indifferent about it, honestly,” said senior Nina Tehranian.

A few students expressed concerns that the message would push determined partiers to gather in more secretive and dangerous locations.

“I think he’s going about this the wrong way because, by sending this e-mail out, he’s possibly encouraging kids to drink by themselves,” said senior Swathi Sivasubrmanian. “I don’t think it’s really going to do anything because parents who are going to have parties are going to have parties anyway.”

Sophomore Yannick Schaefer put it a little more simply. “When I’m a senior, I want to have Senior Show parties,” he said.

“High school kids are going to drink no matter what,” said senior Ryan Meiselman. “So, they’re going to have these parties in semi-safe situations, or they can go out into the woods, they can go out by themselves, they can go out and put themselves and other people in more danger than they should be.”

“I think that if they’re chaperoned, and they do a good job, then they should be able to have parties, cause it’s a great way for the grade to come together,” said junior Sophia Lesser.

In an interview on Thursday, Tutwiler could not agree with those opinions because of a key difference in principle. “School should not ever endorse any behaviors that are dangerous or illegal. And history tells us that, at these parties, unfortunately, both are happening,” he said.

However, others disliked the method of delivery, rather than the message.

“I sympathize with his motives, but I highly dislike his execution,” said senior Amanda Whittaker, one of several students who e-mailed Tutwiler in response to his message.

“I think he has the right idea behind it, but I don’t really like the way that he’s going at parents, trying to be like ‘Stop the partying,’’’ said senior RJ Bolivar.

Fellow senior Taylor Rockwell was similarly frustrated. “Go talk to the students first, warn them, remind them, talk to the students before you go straight to their parents,” she said.

In defense of his e-mail, Tutwiler expressed a desire to ensure that parents were fully informed.

“I understand people’s concerns or issues with the method, but it takes a village, and I want everybody on the same page,” said Tutwiler. “There are parents who don’t know what happens on those nights. And I think that it’s important for them to know – and not so they say ‘You can’t do XYZ,’ just so they know and have a conversation with you.”

Tutwiler has not yet brought up the partying issue directly with the senior class, but said that he intends to do so next Wednesday, prior to the Senior Show’s full run-through rehearsal.

On the other hand, he welcomed students to discuss the matter with him, whether in person or by e-mail.

“What this is designed to do – and it needed to be powerful, and it needed to be forward, and it needed to be honest, and it needed to reflect my profound care for everyone who attends Wayland High School and in particular the seniors – the idea is to get people thinking and talking,” he said.

“Bottom line, bottom line – it evoked a response.”

$210
$1500