Fine arts requirement added for incoming freshmen

Due to the new fine arts requirement, the art classrooms will likely see an increase in traffic next year. (Credit: Jake Adelman/WSPN)

Over the past two weeks, students and teachers have been discussing the course options for the 2011-2012 school year. On Friday, March 11th, students and their parents will begin to sign up for their classes for next year. Course registration will occur through the iParent module for the second year in a row.

Students and their parents will have until March 21st to approve recommendations and add any electives they wish to take. After the any override procedures are finished, the Guidance Department and Administrators will begin to create next year’s schedule.

In addition to other academic and physical education requirements, the incoming freshman class will have one more graduation requirement: four fine arts credits.

“This is something that has been in the works for a few years now,” said Fine Arts Director Susan Memoli. When Memoli took over the position three years ago, the requirement was one of the initial changes she wanted to institute.

Memoli explained that since there will be more students in arts courses next year, they will offer some new courses. New courses include Classic Guitar, which, according to Memoli, “would be something that would cover kids who might be interested but don’t want to have a performance based course.”

“The reason behind having a fine arts graduation requirement is that most of our peer schools have one,” Memoli explained. “That also falls in line with most universities; when you go, having some exposure in those areas may not be required but is appreciated.”

Memoli thinks that this will be a good supplement to the Wayland Middle School Fine Arts program. “Their exposure is just so small and spread out, then it just stops when you get to high school.”

“I personally cannot imagine a student who enters high school and never steps foot in this building,” says Memoli. “There is a huge range of curriculum that would otherwise be completely untouched.”

Find out more about the other curriculum changes »

$210
$1500