Boys hockey ends season against Shawsheen

Wayland Warriors huddle up before their big game against Shawsheen Tech. (Credit: Riley Starr/WSPN)

On Thursday night, while most seniors performed the Senior Show in the Little Theater, the Wayland boys hockey team had a show of their own in Chelmsford against the Shawsheen Tech Rams in a playoff match-up. The winners would advance to the Division III North Sectional final.

From the drop of the puck, the Warriors came out with fire in their eyes. Junior Evan Barber gave the Wayland crowd something to cheer about when he took a pass from junior Doug Lyons and fired a wrist shot into the upper corner of the net to put the Warriors ahead 1-0, just 12 seconds into the game.

The team’s throng of passionate fans erupted in the heartfelt excitement and enthusiasm which has fueled the team’s confidence all season long. The Warrior puckmen seemed to build off the energy of the goal and the crowd’s unforgettable cheer, “I believe that we will win.”

Later in the first, a call by the referees canceled out what would have been a go-ahead goal by Wayland captain Eddie McCarthy.

Not to be denied, Shawsheen Tech fought back with a vengeance and quickly lit the lamp with a goal of their own. The Warriors, however, were on a mission and dug in their heels with the kind of play that comes from the heart.

They checked, skated, passed and played as well, if not better than, any Wayland Hockey team in recent memory. Senior EJ Nichols shined on defense, turning back almost every offensive rush on his side. Senior Cogan Register played one of his best games as a varsity goaltender.

The pressure that Wayland put on Shawsheen was amazing and kept the fans glued to the action with loud, enthusiastic support. Shawsheen proved they would be a worthy match when they scored again in the first period and held the one goal lead late into the third period.

With the clock ticking to just 4:25 left in the third period, Zach Bastarache took a pass and rifled a low slap shot that went right between the legs of the Shawsheen goalie, to tie the game 2-2.

In the last few minutes, Wayland got a huge break with a five-on-three power play. Despite several good opportunities, the Warriors were unable to capitalize on the advantage and time ran out.

Shawsheen scored one goal in the shootout to finally rip the life out of the Warriors.

The Warriors Hockey team, however, played a great game and gave the number one seeded team a real run for their money.