Restricted study can limit student privileges

(Credit: Eli Lord/WSPN)
In order to attend prom, participate in after school activities and enjoy frees, Wayland High School students must have no unserved restricted studies. 

With prom night just around the corner, this may be an incentive for people to attend their restricted studies, and avoid getting more.

According to Assistant Principal Bayard Klimasmith, there have been some complaints from parents about losing prom privileges. Sometimes when parents pay for prom, and their student cannot go, parents want their money back.  If the prom has been paid for, and the student still owes restricted studies, there is no refund on the ticket.

Demerits that lead to restricted study can be accumulated by being late to class, stealing, bringing drugs onto campus, or leaving campus without permission, among other infractions.  One demerit is equal to one block of restricted study.

“What’s supposed to happen is that if you don’t serve your restricted study right at your next free block, you get double, but we haven’t been doing that, because we haven’t been able to keep up with it,” said Klimasmith.

There are ways for students to lower the number of demerits they have.  Negotiating a written behavior contract with an administrator, going a period of time without getting demerits and performing in-school community service can reduce a student’s demerits.

A restricted study is served in the folding door area during a free period. Restricted studies were originally supposed to be served in the Commons Annex, but that has now been turned into a weight room, like the one that used to be in the field house.

Restricted studies are similar to the study halls that freshmen attend first term.  “It’s like a free, but you can’t do anything, and you get work done,” said junior Barbara Raphael.

In previous years, getting demerits meant Saturday school.  The switch from Saturday school to restricted study stems partially from what seemed to be the discriminatory effects of forcing students to attend school on Saturdays.  It was harder for METCO students to go to Saturday school than it was for a Wayland student. In addition, the Jewish Sabbath is on Saturday.

To find out if you owe any restricted studies, log in to your new iStudent account.

More information regarding demerits and restricted study can be found in the student handbook on pages 24 through 26.

$210
$1500